• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Purchase - Where To Begin

paulram

This is my first post so excuse any long windedness or vague information...

So my wife is pissed at me because I went to look at a car with my son and bought said car.  She said, "I didn't know you were going to buy it.  I thought you were just looking at it". A ridiculous statement.

Any way I am the proud owner of a 1976 '02 that needs alot of care and a wife who thinks I'm an idiot.  I bought it as it is as rust free as any car I have seen.  No rust anywhere.  Before I begin with the obvious cosmetics it needs, I need to bring her to a reliable and solid running/handling daily driver. 

I want to start with the motor and am not looking to set the world on fire, but although the car runs ok, it seems to really dog it.  I have memories on my two prior '73s being much punchier...

I am no mechanic but am mechanically inclined.

Where do I start?  I have no real history on the car.  Evidently the motor was replaced 25K ago.  There has been a lot done to the car (not necessarily well).  Plugs/dist/wires are new.  Carb is a Weber DGAV 33b1. 

Looks like alot has been disconnected through the years as far as lights/accessories.

I don't care about gas mileage... I want some more punch...

Then I can address the crappy paint job, 4 different color interior, huge ugly bumpers that cam with the car, seals, suspension, rims and etc as needed.

Thanks!

Paul

post-45331-0-83930100-1373309749_thumb.j

post-45331-0-41401600-1373309766_thumb.j

post-45331-0-63184100-1373309780_thumb.j

post-45331-0-90866700-1373309792_thumb.j

post-45331-0-93902800-1373309803_thumb.j

Edited by paulram

Paul, i bought a 76 in very simlar condition to yours 1 year ago. I have spent crazy money on it but it has worked out to be a great car, so good luck.

Assuming your state doesn't require the car to pass emissions, i would loose the emisions equipment, air pump, exhaust manifold (replace with Tii style) and either replace or rebuild the carb and see how she runs after that. Also consider switching to electronic ignition ($50 hot spark).

Electronic Ignition http://www.hot-spark.com/1-Bosch-Distributors.htm

Tii style header http://www.topspeedauto.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_74&product_id=537

post-42434-0-31000200-1373310843_thumb.j

Edited by Stevenc22

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

I can understand why your wife is not feeling the love and positive vibrations

anywho:

where to start ?

is the gas pedal when held to the floor, opening the carb linkage and carb against it's FULL OPEN stop ?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

welcome to the club.  first thing you need to do is rip off that door panel and let the metal breath. :D  things can look nice under there. 

+1 on losing emissions stuff if applicable.

post-43021-0-35416600-1373312642_thumb.j

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

Welcome, and congratulations on your new purchase. Your wife's response is a bit similar to my wife's when I bought my first 02 back in 2005, except that my wife was excited thinking it was a new 2002 bmw instead of the model 2002, long story short, 7 short years later she came around and now she likes my 02 and even enjoys going on short rides with me.

I don't have any first hand input as far as getting more punch out of the m10 as I went with the M42 swap (2nd best desicion I've made since buying an 02). I've riden in many m10 powered 02's with different setups but so far the smoothest one was with a 292 cam and 38/38 weber.

If you haven't done so already, do is a compression test to know what you're working with, check if you have a mechanical advance dist, convert the points to pretronix igniter kit, check your timing and adjust it if need be. Check your pedal/carb Linkeage and make sure the carb is at full throttle when flooring the gas pedal,

Like it was mentioned above if your state doesn't require smog testing, get rid of the emission crap.

The members on this forum are one of the most knowledgeable and helpful people you'll meet, make sure to utilize the search function as many topics have been covered at least once.

Again welcome to the forum, and good luck with your project.

1979 e21 318 (sold)

1975 Inka (sold)

1983 e21 320i (sold)

1974 Polaris (sold)

1975 M42 Swap (work in progress)

If you have owned two prior 1973's, you should have some general ideas about what you want to do with the car.  I think in New Jersey you can de-smog it, and sell the parts to the California guys who need them.  Search for  the many posts concerning de-smogging.  There are many aftermarket sources for interior parts, depends on how much you want to spend.  A well tuned viable M-10 engine should be more than enough power for a peppy around town driving experience.  If you want to race, etc, a different matter.  Unless you car came from the Southwest, I'd bet there's some rust somewhere.  Read a bunch of posts, look at some people's restoration blogs, get some ideas, and have fun.

Paul (also)

1. Congratulate yourself

2. De-smog

3. Compression check

4. Tune-up: wires, plugs, distributor cap, change all fluids

5. Hot spark electronic ignition/set timing correctly

6. Tii exhaust manifold or headers.

7. Check throttle linkages, lube everything nicely

8. Make sure exhaust is solid

9. Drive poop out of it

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

If you have owned two prior 1973's, you should have some general ideas about what you want to do with the car.  I think in New Jersey you can de-smog it, and sell the parts to the California guys who need them.  Search for  the many posts concerning de-smogging.  There are many aftermarket sources for interior parts, depends on how much you want to spend.  A well tuned viable M-10 engine should be more than enough power for a peppy around town driving experience.  If you want to race, etc, a different matter.  Unless you car came from the Southwest, I'd bet there's some rust somewhere.  Read a bunch of posts, look at some people's restoration blogs, get some ideas, and have fun.

Paul (also)

I really just want a sharp looking car that the interior doesn't look like a complete frankenstein makeover.  The story (I say story as it is all I have).  Car on craiglist advertised as rust free Arizona car in very good condition for $5900.00.  Car turns out to be absolutely rust free.  Biggest problem is the repaint.  Car is originally metallic gold.  Really poor job that isn't done well and is totally orange peeled.  Interior should be no issues for what i want.  Guy I bought from said he bought it 4 years ago from someone out west (His friend went to check it for him).  He paid $3500.00 for it and shipped it for another $1000.  I offered him $3K.  We finally met at $3500.  He said that evidently the motor had been replaced.  I have no idea what he was talking about that is was marked with an XX on the motor that designates where that motor came from.  I didn't care.  It ran and had no rust.  I have bumpers (which I don't like) and also extra five rims from a 320i that need new rubber. Shifting is sloppy.

I'm going to check the carb and may just buy rebuild kit to rule anything out.  I need to check to see if the carb is going wide open.  The linkage is tight and actually held tight with a ziptie.  I'll check out the desmogging as well.

Thanks to everyone.  I'm sure you will be hearing more...

Paul

Edited by paulram

I would pop it up on jack stands and check the brakes, suspension and change all fluids too. Not sexy but good for peace of mind. Always a good idea to familiarise yourself with the underside of a new car.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

All good advise!

Make sure she stops, runs and steers:

Check your brakes

Check all the steering gear

Replace plugs, wires cap and rotor, change the oil so YOU know what was put in it when

Good luck!

Nuova Strada

www.nuovastrada.com

Hi,

i run stone racing co here in philly.

i have many parts cars and thirty years

working on 2002's only. if you need

advice or parts, you can call me.

if you bring it down we can go over

the car a make a solid list.

215.520-6718.

good luck,

call me if you need to,

chris

stone racing co

phila pa 19123

Congrats!!!!

Sorry, the wife thing is what it is for you married guys. The father son thing will be a good memory.

I have a Verona 76. Removed the bumpers (park benches, diving boards, lunch counter, steel air dam...etc). Your call on reinstall. If you do install, consider the older/euro chrome bumper. They look good on a 76. I might install a rear bumper. If I do it will be the old style. My bumper holes have been sealed and blended into the body. I like it.

You can find chrome bumpers here in driver to concourse condition. Plenty of DIY install help. Some elect to go the air dam route. Some add wheel flares. If you are going to do body work, paint, decide before if you want to add these on. Easier than deciding to AFTER its painted.

No shortage of stuff to do as you go. For now drive it, enjoy it and get your wife something from Tiffany's while using the car to do it. Hide it in the glove box and let her "discover" it. If she is still mad I can introduce you to a stripper named Tiffany.

Edited by Koblenz

Hi,

i run stone racing co here in philly.

i have many parts cars and thirty years

working on 2002's only. if you need

advice or parts, you can call me.

if you bring it down we can go over

the car a make a solid list.

215.520-6718.

good luck,

call me if you need to,

chris

Are you still open? I think I looked online once and said you were closed...I am in NYC and might pop over some day if you are there...

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

Hey,

Thanks for all the info.

I'm going to start with replacing plugs/wires etc.  Should I change to the Hotshot ignition?  Is there a downside to it?  I'm also going to rebuild the existing carb to rule out any issues or problems.  Originally I was just going to buy a new carb.  I've seen a lot of discussions on adjusting the carb and figured I might as well go through the paces and increase my knowledge by rebuilding the existing.

On the DGAV 33b1 what is the best setup you guys have found?  I want to do this progressively.  I see alot of threads where people adjust the carb to death and still don't get the desired result. Once I replace all necessary parts (and decide on electric ignition or not), Do I set the timing and then work on carb adjustment?

Thanks again.

Paul

I'll get to desmog when the weather gets a little colder and not 90 in my garage.