• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I bought my 74 Sahara last year and it had some needs (like most old cars). I knew it had some rust, but I wanted to fix the little things first and just enjoy driving it for a while before I got into the big stuff.

Well, that time has come. I've had a box from Blunt in my basement for the last six months with new window gaskets in it since mine were toast. I knew my parcel shelf was going and found a couple of small holes in the floor pan under the rear seat.

Once the rear window was out, I got a real good look at what was lurking under there. Let's just say that there was a bit more "patina" than I expected. I feel good about it though. It's all getting cut out and replaced with fresh metal. The trunk will be next since that is pretty bad too. Maybe this winter I'll get that done. But, I think I'll just enjoy the summer before dealing with that.

The shop also had this cool old Citroen that was just about complete. It came in much worse than mine and looks great now.

I can't wait to get my car back. Summer is almost here.

post-41156-0-89943000-1367894943_thumb.j

post-41156-0-74288900-1367894957_thumb.j

post-41156-0-62955500-1367894974_thumb.j

post-41156-0-25375900-1367894994_thumb.j

post-41156-0-63932200-1367895011_thumb.j

post-41156-0-51033400-1367895029_thumb.j

mike tunney

And folks, this is why you don't let a back window gasket go bad and leak...bet there's more rust on the floor under the back seat...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

the rust on the floor was minimal and is being repaired. doing everything in one shot to make sure it's 100% gone and there is nothing seeping under interior panels; etc. i bought the car like this. it was part of an estate sales from what i understand. the mechanicals were kept up but the seals were not. i replaced the trunk seal the day i got the car. i consider this step one in the long process of restoring the car to her former glory. she deserves it.

mike tunney

Yikes. That is really bad.

Reminds me of the rear luggage compartment on my 71 VW. Swiss cheese metal due to a leaking rear window seal.  I grafted in one from a Yellow VW.

33fd9b87.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Ouch! That looks pretty bad, but definitely fixable. I have absolutely no floorpan left on the passenger side and my spare tire well is about half the original thickness. 

Where did you get your work done and how much did they charge? I have a paint shop out in long island city that does all of the cars we have at work and is fairly reasonable. Extremely high quality work. But I am definitely open to opinions and suggestions!

Be sure to join me for a drive sometime this summer. I have tracked down a couple of owners in and around the city and we should be able to get a nice group going. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

Ouch! That looks pretty bad, but definitely fixable. I have absolutely no floorpan left on the passenger side and my spare tire well is about half the original thickness. 

Where did you get your work done and how much did they charge? I have a paint shop out in long island city that does all of the cars we have at work and is fairly reasonable. Extremely high quality work. But I am definitely open to opinions and suggestions!

Be sure to join me for a drive sometime this summer. I have tracked down a couple of owners in and around the city and we should be able to get a nice group going. 

hey david!

yeah it was a bit more rust and rot than i had anticipated with the car. the good part is that the car is 100% solid from the rear seat forward. i have to do the trunk as well; but i'm taking it slow and doing it in stages. the trunk is slathered in POR-15 from the PO so it's not going anywhere. it all needs to be cut out.

i took the car to empire auto on utica ave in brooklyn. they're really good guys and have been in business for a long time. i'm not sure how much it's all going to cost at this point since i asked them to do a bunch of other work on the car while it was there. their number is (718) 756-6050; ask for Gary and tell them i sent you over there. my car is still there now.

i wanted to go on the drive on 4/28 but saturdays are really hard for me to get out since my wife works that day. hopefully sometime soon we can go for a ride or at least a beer since you live pretty close.

mike tunney

hey david!

yeah it was a bit more rust and rot than i had anticipated with the car. the good part is that the car is 100% solid from the rear seat forward. i have to do the trunk as well; but i'm taking it slow and doing it in stages. the trunk is slathered in POR-15 from the PO so it's not going anywhere. it all needs to be cut out.

i took the car to empire auto on utica ave in brooklyn. they're really good guys and have been in business for a long time. i'm not sure how much it's all going to cost at this point since i asked them to do a bunch of other work on the car while it was there. their number is (718) 756-6050; ask for Gary and tell them i sent you over there. my car is still there now.

i wanted to go on the drive on 4/28 but saturdays are really hard for me to get out since my wife works that day. hopefully sometime soon we can go for a ride or at least a beer since you live pretty close.

Thanks for the tip! The 4/28 drive didn't end up happening thanks to work and class getting in the way, so no harm done :). We will definitely have to plan a day that works for everyone, likely a sunday. I'm also up for a beer sometime, there are a couple bars around me that are reasonable and (more importantly) don't card :). If the thought of drinking with someone under 21 bothers you, don't worry; I have an EU citizenship and as a result I've been drinking in bars legally since I was 16, though truth be told I'm not a big drinker, though I do enjoy a good beer (none of that piss that most guys my age call beer). 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...