• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roll-Center Or Bumpsteer Spacers

droid01

Anyone know where i can find these spacers that increase negative wheel camber as well. i know Ireland sells Roll-center spacers that drop the lower control arm 1/2", but I've seen them made where they also push the strut out 10-15mm.  I've done some searching here and found a CAD drawing of the part, and i supose i could take that to a machine shop to have them made, but its probably cheaper to buy them from someone who has made a whole run of them.  Anyways, any info pointing me in the right direction would be great. 

Thanks in advance

'74 Sienabraun m20
'72 Chamonix 

Massive was the one who made the original run I believe. He may still have some on his website.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Hello--

Are you talking about control arm spacers or decamber plates (or both)?  Decamber plates mount on top of the spring perch to the strut bearing and are about 3/8" thick; as I recall they are supposed to give 1/2 degree less camber.

You might post in Parts Wanted, as some of us have suspension parts available.

Larry

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

Yep, but Massive lists both 28mm thickness and 15mm thickness. I'll go ahead and assume they're 28mm considering it drops the control arm 26mm. Probably should have realized that beforehand.

Alex
-'75 2002 with M42

-Spec E30

-'91 318is

Yep, but Massive lists both 28mm thickness and 15mm thickness. I'll go ahead and assume they're 28mm considering it drops the control arm 26mm. Probably should have realized that beforehand.

Only the 26mm ones have the offset.....

2xM3

that is actually the "old" setup....struts, sway links and brakes all new and improved since then...; :)

safety wire?  never use the stuff.  call me lucky, but in 15 years of racing cars using correct tq, locktite and and active preventative maint program i have never had anything loosen up. 

well, except that alternator bolt on the s14 on the shakedown run.  new bolt and loctite later, it has not moved! B)

2xM3

Note: if you install roll center spacers without the camber offset, your tires will likely rub on your tie rod end, and you'll need a wheel spacer to fix it.  I'm running et-25, 15X7 wheels with 195 50 Potenza RE-111 tires.  I had to remove the roll center spacer, as i didn't want to use that much of a wheel spacer.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

• 4 months later...

Note: if you install roll center spacers without the camber offset, your tires will likely rub on your tie rod end, and you'll need a wheel spacer to fix it.  I'm running et-25, 15X7 wheels with 195 50 Potenza RE-111 tires.  I had to remove the roll center spacer, as i didn't want to use that much of a wheel spacer.

Quick question for you guys that run/ran these; if needed (i.e. car is lowered and control arm is too parallel to ground) would I have to worry about fender and or spring clearance issues? I was thinking of getting the bigger ones with the offset (if that matters).

What is truly ironic about these is that they do not affect steering behavior in bump or roll

They lower the ball joint and the tie rod an equal amount, which PRESERVES the 

steering geometry.  Which, near as I can figure, is a GOOD thing.  The stock 2002

has very little roll and bump steer.  Yep, I measured it once.  Wish I'd recorded 'em.

What they DO do is help reduce camber loss under compression on a lowered car-

they also compensate somewhat for taller tires.

And yes, they do adjust the front roll center versus the rear one.  A process 

that is neither trivial nor unimportant, I keep rediscovering...

As to the tie rod ends, that seemed to be a real problem with smaller tires- but 15's had

quite a bit extra, so your mileage may vary.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL