• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NK Project Update

Will come back there next spring to see you, your place and to get Chauffeured around in that like new NK !  You Sam and Martin were in my thoughts today while driving over the Volcano !

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152

Will come back there next spring to see you, your place and to get Chauffeured around in that like new NK !  You Sam and Martin were in my thoughts today while driving over the Volcano !

Thought about that drive all day. It was a blast. Sure hope to make it back next year. And hope you can make it to 02s and Brews next May. You and PuttPutt need to have a reunion in the mountains of North Carolina. Gonna be fun.

Sam Adams
1972 Inka 2000tii Touring, 1968 Manila 1600-2, 2001 325iT

Great car. Good luck with it. My first BMW was a '65 1800 and seeing this was a kick. It's great that you have a decent rust free body. I'm sure you put in plenty of hours on this.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

• 1 month later...

It runs Got it going a couple of weeks ago Had Eileen do a couple of videos today to capture the fact. Very happy with the way it rides, stops, etc. Everything seems to work, only problem is that third gear synchro seems sketchy After at least 25 five speed installs with out any problems I guess I was due for an issue. Oh well

Lots of work still to do But light is beginning to appear at the end of the tunnel :) Did not get it ready for 02berfest like I wanted but Mid America 02 Fest in April it will make its debut for sure :)

Edited by MikeinNC

Ok So today I will show you what I just did on the nasty old dash I had I found on the internet in a couple of places where the muscle car guys were restoring the dashes of various types of cars and even found the procedure on one Triumph site so I thought I would give it a go

Here is my dash at the start. Fortunately all of the metal was in good shape, it was just badly cracked

IMG_31481024x768_zpse3822cba.jpg

Next step was to fill all the cracks with plastic filler. This is a picture when I first got started I am sorry but I apparently did not take on when I was done filling and sanding but you get the idea

IMG_31491024x768_zps89ca4c26.jpg

Next two you can see that I am applying the Volara sculpting foam 1/8 inch, using high temp Weldwood Landau Contact Cement. I then sanded in places to make edges round and transitions smooth Second photo looks like there are ridges but they are just shadows. The finished foam was very smooth.

IMG_31531024x768_zps6e9a48b3.jpg

IMG_31541024x768_zpsc0714d3c.jpg

Now I am ready to dive in and see if this is going to work. You can see where I have applied glue to the dash in bits and pieces, to enable me to work the vinyl in and glue it in phases

IMG_31591024x768_zpsc0f66ef7.jpg

Flipped it over and stuck the dash on there

IMG_31581024x768_zps2afbc01e.jpg

Then I turned it over and started pressing and working with a heat gun to contour the vinyl, adding more glue as I got a section ready to go. Hardest area on these NK dashes is the grab handle area. You also have to be very careful with the heat gun so as not to melt vinyl or burn yourself (ask me how I know)

Finished product Hope this all lasts in the hot sun But I did use glue that is for vinyl top installs and it is supposed to be good. Easy enough to redo

IMG_31601024x768_zps3c605798.jpg

IMG_31611024x768_zpsa8d6af5c.jpg

Now on to the rear package shelf

Mike I found the process or one like it on several different places, including an old Triumph forum so I am hopeful I think I would like to use a thinner vinyl next time to help contour to shapes maybe

But you won't have any problem doing it Not that hard I got the foam and glue from yourautotrim.com

When you get to that point we can talk :)

Mike

Your car looks fantastic!! I would love to have a driveway like that!

Wow!

Keep it going. I've been working on my Schwartz car for two years. Almost done as well!! Maybe the two cars will meet some day!

Rey

I'm a BMW Zombie and there's no cure!

Mike,

Do not normally spend alot of time on the page...glad I ventured over..... your NK looks fantastic.  Looking forward to Mid-America to see you and the car in person.

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Thanks Rey

A visit to your place is on my bucket list!!! :)

Earl

You will be able to drive it in Arkansas!

Whoooo Hoooo

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell