• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor cam lube?

Napes

I still have 3/4 of a tube of Bosch distributor grease that I bought while working at a Porsche dealership in 1978.

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

I specified Dielectric Grease because of this previous post:

When installing the new points, put a SMALL amount of lube on the points Cam lobe in the distributor. This will keep the points rubbing block from wearing out.

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16866&cat=351&page=1

Do not use regular wheel bearing grease, it must be dielectric points lube.

Bob Napier

All non-EP greases are basically non-conducting (i.e. dielectric). Wheel bearing and EP greases contain Molybdenum di-sulphide in trace amounts which increases conductivity.

Now in the distributor, if the grease stays on the shaft, it does not matter whether it is conducting or not. A dielectric is preferred so that if some grease splatters onto the points, it will not cause a short.

Wheel bearing grease applied judiciously will not spatter out so the risk is low. I've got 2500 miles currently since I applied it.

The common dielectric grease (for bulbs and connections) is not a very good lubricant. So, I'd rather have a good lubricant on the shaft and take the small risk of a fouled points than have shaft wear and bad timing jitter.

Byas