Napes

Distributor cam lube?

8 posts / 7112 viewsLast Reply

Rather than buying a tube of dizzy cam lube, which would probably be enough for 20-30 years, is Permatex Dielectric Tune-up Grease a reasonable substitute?

Bob Napier

I had the same consideration. But, I didn't think the dielectric grease is designed to have high adhesion on repeated movement. So, ended up putting a bit of wheel bearing grease.

I still have 3/4 of a tube of Bosch distributor grease that I bought while working at a Porsche dealership in 1978.

I specified Dielectric Grease because of this previous post:

When installing the new points, put a SMALL amount of lube on the points Cam lobe in the distributor. This will keep the points rubbing block from wearing out.

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16866&cat=351&page=1

Do not use regular wheel bearing grease, it must be dielectric points lube.

Bob Napier

All non-EP greases are basically non-conducting (i.e. dielectric). Wheel bearing and EP greases contain Molybdenum di-sulphide in trace amounts which increases conductivity.

Now in the distributor, if the grease stays on the shaft, it does not matter whether it is conducting or not. A dielectric is preferred so that if some grease splatters onto the points, it will not cause a short.

Wheel bearing grease applied judiciously will not spatter out so the risk is low. I've got 2500 miles currently since I applied it.

The common dielectric grease (for bulbs and connections) is not a very good lubricant. So, I'd rather have a good lubricant on the shaft and take the small risk of a fouled points than have shaft wear and bad timing jitter.

Byas

"is Permatex Dielectric Tune-up

Grease a reasonable substitute?" = No

Mallory point cam grease $11

maa-26015_w.jpg

bosch_5700002005_2.jpg

VC.BOSCHGREASE.jpg