• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Conditioner equipment salvage query

jerry

for anyone who's gone through the effort to retrofit or return to service a Behr or Frigiking A/C system, what components are absolutely necessary?

i have two Behr center consoles with the internals and one Frigiking center console. At one time or another, i'm sure i had the complete units, but i'm reorganizing at present and i'm sick of hanging on to the odds and end hoses, dryer canister and heat exchanger. i know the York compressor is obsolete so they were tossed awhile ago, along with the cast iron bracket (boat anchor).

i'm not wedded to A/C where i live, but i'd at least like to know what to hold onto should i ever want to re-install one. and yes, i do have the tii A/C crankshaft pulley,... somewhere....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Behr center console is really all your need. You will need to get new hoses, dryer and condensor. I have used a parallel flow condensor and it seems to provide better cooling than factory add on. Good thing it is also less expensive. Call La Jolla Independent and see who they use.

Largely agree with dtortise9. If I'm doing a resurrection of a dead Behr system, I keep:

--The console

--The evaporator assembly inside the console

--The condenser if the nose of the car hasn't been hit and if I'm sticking with R12

--The electric fan in front of the condenser if the nose of the car hasn't been hit

I replace:

--The condenser with a parallel-flow condenser if I'm converting to R134a

--The compressor with a Sanden 508 rotary-style compressor

--The receiver/drier

--Every hose

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

more attractive than the Frigiking, the Behr unit has the radio mounted at the very bottom of the console.

The location makes the radio's face plate difficult to see without really taking your eyes off the road. And if you have a CD player (or are going vintage and have a cassette tape player!) you're not gonna change tapes or CDs with the car in first or third....and even second and fourth are both close clearances between disk/cassette and shift lever. Also, the Frigiking unit uses standard blower and thermostat switches that can be bought at most any A/C shop, while the Behr unit uses German switches that are harder to find.

One final thing--the Behr is wired so that the heater blower is disconnected when the A/C blower is operational, but the Frigiking allows both to run at the same time, and thus is much easier to wire into the car's harness. The Behr's wiring is tricky.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

thanks guys for the info.

that is exactly the kind of information i was looking for.

those sticky tar-wrapped stiff hoses are history.

mike's comments have given me a new-found appreciation for the lowly Frigiking unit. i had always considered them 2nd rate.

i'm gonna whittle it down to the three consoles and perhaps a fan.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

more attractive than the Frigiking, the Behr unit has the radio mounted at the very bottom of the console.

And that's why I moved it to the top

IMG_0578.JPG

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

And that's why I moved it to the top

IMG_0578.JPG

Very clever but, as an FYI, that is a Clardy console rather than a Behr unit.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 1 month later...