ndog

12mm intake KNUT

12 posts / 1142 viewsLast Reply

IF I promiss to be a good boy will the 12mm intake manifold nut jump back on?I didnt grind the manifold(should have...) ,,,but boy the other 13mm nuts liked to be back on the eng...

and a small grinding stone? It wouldn't take much to give you enough clearance to get the nut on and spun up...

An old dental burr is perfect for getting into tight spaces like that on soft metal. Ask your dentist to save old ones for you.

mike

ty mike,i read your tips on doing the homemade milling to solve this clearence issue.I would like to get my car ready asap for a lunch date on sunday,Is it possible that i should run this nut down alone while indexing the manifold????ty again for your many "searchable posts"

There is an 11 mm VW brass nut that makes things that much easier...

I think mine came from Bow Wow a long time ago, but the internets have them too.

t

>edit< whoopsie, sorry, those were for the exhaust. 12mm's on the intake

aren't too bad.

t

and a small grinding stone? It wouldn't take much to give you enough clearance to get the nut on and spun up...

An old dental burr is perfect for getting into tight spaces like that on soft metal. Ask your dentist to save old ones for you.

mike

I went to the dremel.... I dont know how removal of said nut didnt cut off enough material allowing easy reinstall???? the nut didnt get jacked up!

If your close and want to stop by, I've got a good 100 of the 11mm's on the shelf.

thanks^ I got the 12 on with some material removal of the intake manifold.....I hope the next time it comes off cannon intakes go on with a pair of 40's

thanks^ I got the 12 on with some material removal of the intake manifold.....I hope the next time it comes off cannon intakes go on with a pair of 40's

Howdy NDog,

Apparently, I've run into the same or similar issue that you had with installing a cannon intake.  Would really like to get some feedback on your workaround as it'd be a damn shame to leave my recently running project on ice this summer.  Will send you a PM and any feedback is appreciated. 

I got some nuts from BLUNT with a 12mm spanner side which have a flange. I took this flange off with an air belt sander for the bottom nuts. Another trick with the cannon manifolds is to place the manifold over the studs and then pull it back so that you are starting the nut on the stud pretty much in contact with the manifold. Once you have started and run the nut down a bit you can push the manifold properly into place to tighten down.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163/entry-557-a-quantum-of-solex-part-1/