• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay car

dtortoise9

The answer is, as always, it depends!

If you want a turnkey car, one you could probably drive without major additional investments for a few years, and that looks good from day one, this could work for you, provided: (1.) a careful examination of the car doesn't reveal rust or recently-patched rust in crucial areas -- rear shock towers, front frame members, floors, trunk floor, rocker panels, (2.) you can verify the low mileage with books and records -- I've seen well-cared-for cars with 150,000 miles on that look like this (my original interior has 102,000 miles on it and looks better than this 50,000-mile car's interior); (3.) you're comfortable with the quality of the re-paint, because you're paying some multiple of that paint job's cost for it -- an awful lot of nuts, screws, dome light switches, trunk vents, hood hold-downs were painted over, NOT the sign of a high-quality paint job; and (4.) you're not buying for "collectibility" -- a '76, such as I have, is very dependable and un-tempermental, but it will never have the collectibility quotient of a round taillight tii (and for $18K, a good, not fabulous, round taillight tii could be on your shopping list).

If you like what you see of the eBay car, look at the car carefully, get a PPI, ask to see the books and records: you DON'T want to pay $18K for it if this is a 150,000-mile '76 with a $3,000 paint job hiding terminal rust!

Good luck.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The hood appears not properly aligned to me. It may signal a front end prang. Or not. Based on the photos it may not be able to be raised ;-)

The new paint is hiding rust. The lower RS front fender is rusted, as they all do, and not properly repaired (or replaced).

The door gaps look a little odd to me, but they may well be okay.

Needs more under hood and under car pics.

Oh I just saw the price. It's $8000 to $15000 too high.

Also I think the upholstery all needs re-stuffing.

There ya go!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Look carefully at the seam between the driver's side door and the front fender. Maybe it's just the photo, but the paint looks chipped and the area looks beaten up. Same to some extent on the passenger side. And, the hood seam/gap on the passenger side is way off. I'd have it inspected.

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

I'm pretty sure that's a weber 32/36 not a 2bbl solex carb, which leads me to believe the seller doesn't know much about these.

$18K for a 75-76 should buy you a tii as a second car.... and rent you a garage to put them in.

Looks like a dry car that was repainted (not that well) and should drive you around just fine.

76 2002 Fjord Sunroof AC

90 VW Vanagon (Ford repowered)

and my daily commuter: a Bicycle!

That car has been whacked in the front.Nothing fits on the drivers side. The first thing i'd do is crawl under and check the frame rail. In the under hood shots, see how the radiator support is pushed back? Chop the price in half and that would be a good starting point.

Good luck!

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Can we get some opinions on this car for sale on ebay?

Too expensive. Still has rust on it (see the paint bubble on the passenger side) and looks "bent."

The respray makes it look clean, but I'd be suspect at what's under that new color.

Still could be a fine ride if you're willing to put up with the inevitable issues. 7k would be reasonable, I'm thinking, IF the motor is competently solid and runs clean.

Less than a year ago I bought a '02 in similar condition, with a tired engine, for 6K... and I think I overpaid, to be honest.

If you have a chance, ride around and drive an '02 that's dialed in and use that for some perspective.

I've seen much better for less here on the forum over the past 4 or 5 months.

If I had 17K for an '02 it would only be for the older tii.

Hmm, I'm seeing no under-hood shots. Why would that be?

Cheers,

I'm pretty sure that's a weber 32/36 not a 2bbl solex carb, which leads me to believe the seller doesn't know much about these.

$18K for a 75-76 should buy you a tii as a second car.... and rent you a garage to put them in.

Looks like a dry car that was repainted (not that well) and should drive you around just fine.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Guest Anonymous

Rey you are clearly not appreciating the hours of work it took to slather on 3 gallons of Armorall.

My favorite saying " Is it for sale ? Or do you want to sell it ? "