• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40 DCOE mounting question

nbristow01

gathering the bits to install my duals. The set I bought came with the bakelite insulators. Each insulator (there are 4)has 2 o-rings. I need to replace these o-rings. Attached is a link to weber direct. Is this "soft mount kit" what I am needing? I would need one per carb obviously..thanks

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/kc-045.htm

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

You could probably use these instead of the "bakelite" insulator you describe (they are intended as a complete mounting solution).

gathering the bits to install my duals. The set I bought came with the bakelite insulators. Each insulator (there are 4)has 2 o-rings. I need to replace these o-rings. Attached is a link to weber direct. Is this "soft mount kit" what I am needing? I would need one per carb obviously..thanks

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/kc-045.htm

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

FWIW, I remember trying the soft mount kits and their not working very well. I instead went with phenolic (plastic) insulators with regular gaskets on each side. I also made a support bracket that bolts to the back of the home made air filter housing and to one of the starter bolts to take the stress off the intake mounting.

Others will probably chime in and their thoughts would also be useful as well as things have changed a bit since I did mine in 1996.

vince

Guest Anonymous

Not real happy with your linked company, webscarbsdirect I have bought 3 new webbers for o2s, theirs is the only one that caused more problems than it cured, floats wrong, choke jacked etc, then call for customer service, the same sipolli soudin jersey guy that took your order answers the tech line, good luck with that. Go with Red Line original Webber parts and pay 20 % more, heres my best link

http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/weber.htm#parts

buy it right or buy it twice, lookin for a real webber 38, will dump my direct crap on the bay

Dave Miller

DBMW2002

76 Golfie, Screamin Yellow Zonker

97 328is For when u absolutley positively gotta get there fast

lookin for a real webber 38

Dave Miller

DBMW2002

Are you saying that the Webber carbs they sell are not made by Webber?

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

lookin for a real webber 38

Dave Miller

DBMW2002

Are you saying that the Webber carbs they sell are not made by Webber?

Yes he is, do a quick search on that company, IMHO they are the worst of the worst. Some people have had smooth transactions but I think their clones are ticking time bombs, and the outfit, which is in a commercial plaza, is a zoo.

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Getting back to the original question, try Pierce Manifolds for "soft mount" kits. Cheaper to buy whole kit than just O-rings. They also have what looks to be a better option. However, they are a bear to install with carbs in place, and those O-rings dissintigrate and crack over time. That was my experience.

Advice from Ireland was to use paper gasket only. Original Ti and CS came with bakelite insulators and gaskets on each side - prob better but depends on clearance available. I read elsewhere that float bowl vibration in DCOEs was more of an issue with race applications (high rpms).

I bought new carbs from Ireland - maybe not the cheapest, but at least you are dealing with knowledgeable and approachable people.

Getting back to the original question, try Pierce Manifolds for "soft mount" kits. Cheaper to buy whole kit than just O-rings. They also have what looks to be a better option. However, they are a bear to install with carbs in place, and those O-rings dissintigrate and crack over time. That was my experience.

Advice from Ireland was to use paper gasket only. Original Ti and CS came with bakelite insulators and gaskets on each side - prob better but depends on clearance available. I read elsewhere that float bowl vibration in DCOEs was more of an issue with race applications (high rpms).

I bought new carbs from Ireland - maybe not the cheapest, but at least you are dealing with knowledgeable and approachable people.

So are you runnign paper gaskets and no insulators? How does it run? I am torn about using the insulators or just mounting direct. If I use the insulators I could just use a standard gasket on each side.

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I'm using one paper gasket with no apparent problems. I would have used Ti insulators, but they created clearance problems re booster (this on a 2000CS). One problem pointed out in the thread is that studs on Ti manifolds are not quite long enough to get spring washer properly tensioned while getting enough thread bite on nuts.

One problem pointed out in the thread is that studs on Ti manifolds are not quite long enough to get spring washer properly tensioned while getting enough thread bite on nuts.

This is in reference to soft mounts, not Ti insulators- the latter fit nicely with nylock nut.

I have a similar question as to best mounting for 45DCOE's and from all I've read direct mount (per thread Jim referenced above) is the way to go. I have found decent prices for the 13 11 0 639 028 insulators and 13 11 9 067 015 gaskets, but it does add up ($81.40 + shipping).

Insulators (x4)

13 11 0 639 028

$7.73/each..............as of 1/5/13

gaskets (x8)

13 11 9 067 015

$6.31/each ..........as of 1/5/13

I am wondering if I can use similar products from Pierce Manifolds ($27.08 + shipping) as follows:

INSULATOR 48IDF/48IDA

3.35mm / 0.132" thick

$3.55/each @ Pierce

DCOE BASE GASKET

$1.61/each @ Pierce

Anyone know if the IDF/IDA bolt pattern is the same as a 40/45 DCOE? And is the DCOE "base gasket" with round hole the same as the BMW gaskets?

Thanks, Fred '74tii & '69GT3

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)