• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust in the Front

austinmf

Grinding off the old Schutz spray found this rust.... searched and do not see it.

Anyone have this? I cannot find an opening to see where water came in start.

Just found lots of rust in the rear rocker panels (perforations) which is expected at this point...

I am debating on NOT even cutting it out at this point...just patching, driving and telling the wife all is good. Surely I can get 4-5 years and hopefully find a good shell.

all the dark and green is rust converter....

post-20302-13667666732445_thumb.jpg

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

Super common-

it's where the front outer seam meets the inner panel.

It's gotta be fixed right- if water continues to get in, any temporary fix

will pop right out again.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Oh mah Gawd!!!

Terrible, that's gonna take years and cost millions!

The rest of the car is no doubt riddled with rust and is not safe. Call the exterminator to get all the rust bugs out!

71, flat black

Beat to fit, paint to match.

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem" - Ronald Reagan

Oh mah Gawd!!!

Terrible, that's gonna take years and cost millions!

The rest of the car is no doubt riddled with rust and is not safe. Call the exterminator to get all the rust bugs out!

Really about $900.... going to break down and buy a MIG welder

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

Once you've repaired the existing rust by welding in new metal, do two things:

1. Enlarge the drain holes on the back side of the nose panel--there are several, and are too small to allow small pieces of gravel or other crud to fall through--pieces that will fit through the grille. One small stone will plug the drain hole and allow dirt to build up, causing the rust you now have.

2. Before reinstalling the grilles, clean that seam (where the nose sheet metal meets the radiator support sheet metal) thoroughly--vacuum the dirt out and really clean the area. I'd then thoroughly paint the entire seam area--up several inches--with your favoiite anti-rust paint--POR 15, Rustoelum/Sherwin-Williams/etc rusty metal primer or whatever. Do this after you enlarge the drain holes.

Now that all is repaired, when you wash your car, at least a couple of times a year hose out that area and check the now enlarged drain holes for water flow.

cheers and happy welding.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike, it is really nice to see how far you have come with this car and to cut corners now! It is very common for 2002s to rust in that area of the nose simply because so much dirt and moisture accumulate there and when we wash our cars we hardly ever use a power wash everytime to wash the deposits off and gradually over the years it becomes a pocket.

You have done an outstanding job so far addressing the rust areas on that car and so cut the rust out on the nose and weld in new metal. You can find good deals on craigslist for a mig. You will have a nice rare tii soon.

Thank you Tepe! Yes, silly to cut corners now. I always wanted to learn to weld. :)

Car is 3/4 primer and 1/4 old paint. Still have not removed paint on the drivers side and need to soda blast the hood seams.

January will push to march. I cannot wait to DRIVE

I appreciate everyone's support and input. Learning more each day!

See you in Dallas some time soon Tepe!!