• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An Australian 2002, 1975 Mintgrün

Jace

Hi everybody. My name is Jace and i'm from Melbourne, Australia

7979071181_2ccdddf64c_c.jpg

BMW 2002 by Jace B., on Flickr

I bought this '75 2002 a little over a week ago not running.

The guy i bought it off had purchased it from the original owner (a little old lady) about 6 years ago, and taken it straight off the road for an engine rebuild.

It has a dealership fitted sunroof, hence the white vinyl roof. it's a 3spd auto, other than that it's a basic 2002 with the only rust spot being the spare wheel well. Is there a place to buy replacement weld-in panels?

I bought it with:

- 'Refreshed' top and bottom end (new bearings and rings, same pistons, rods, valves etc.)

- New waterpump, timing chain tensioners/guides, oil pump stuff blah blah)

- Rebuilt brake boosters

- Rebuilt and jetted Weber 32/36 DGAV

- New pads and rotors

- Rebuilt steering box

- New pitman arm

- Rebuilt driveshafts

This week I:

- Ported the top of the intake manifold for the new carb

- Assembled the rest of the engine

- Sorted the cooling system (i think...)

- Resealed the fuel tank with POR-15 products

I (finally) got the car all assembled and driving today. Here's a few pics for proof.

7991135484_60b243d075.jpg

Le 2002! by Jace B., on Flickr

7991135202_55f8d1f5a3.jpg

Progress by Jace B., on Flickr

7991134912_aa72d3e6f0.jpg

It drives! by Jace B., on Flickr

I'll be updating with my progress soon. Still a few kinks to iron out and a lot of tidying to be done.

- Jace

Nice 02, a pretty rare set up I imagine in Aus.

There are a few places to get parts, such a panels. I would recommend Ash Sprague at Brighton BMW, 02 enthusiast and Bmw spare parts guy. Particularly helpful for big/precious items where you don't want to have to worry about shipping, however, you do pay a premium, as with most things in Australia, supply/demand etc.

That said, Steve at Blunt industries in the States is pretty sharp with his prices, quotes within 24 hours, and reasonably priced shipping. He has a stellar record with helping me with parts.

wallothnesch (google them) are pretty good, but you need to spend a bit before it makes it worth while. Although with our dollar on parade with the US it makes it hard to go past Blunt.

Also there is the local 02 Register which is helpful/friendly way of finding secondhand (sometimes new) parts.

All the best.

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

1973 RHD Verona - Project

1974 RHD chamonix - Towed 

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I've been slack with the car but it's back on the road now!

8133626381_e1741306a6_c.jpg

It's on Club Rego via my local car club. Still a few things to sort out for a full rego, like a new windscreen and fix the spare wheel well rust, and fix the erratic speedo (it's gone completely mental!).

8133627725_3857206d27_c.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

I got a 390mm Nardi Classic steering wheel for it because i think standard BMW steering wheels from the 70's and 80's are hideous!

I also discovered that the car has air-shocks in the back, which when pumped up, raise the car by a good inch! the car sits lower on the drivers side for some reason but that will be sorted out with a healthy lowering in the future.

cheers

- Jace

Is the Bavaria tag on the rear panel an Australian thing?
Looks like it was used as a placebo for the "Automatic" badge- that's where they went on a squaretail.

i have no idea about the badge, i'm new to 02's and i don't have an Australian dealership brochure for them.

with the dealership fitted sunroof and an FM radio i'm really not sure how this car came into existence.

Really nice car, if it's a 75' than is basicly brother of mine 02 :)

Now you can start enjoying every mile with a car with a soul for driving pleasures!

my other car is a Mazda MX5/Miata so i know all about cars made for driving :)

• 1 month later...
bavaria was a BMW model. I suppose the Automatic badge for a 2002 and a Bavaria have the same mounting rod positions, interesting :)

Slightly different mounting spots apparently! There's a few extra holes behind the badge and one or two that have been plugged.

If anybody has an "Automatic" badge they could ship me in Australia, please PM me.

Not much news to report, I've been trying to get the car running and driving perfectly.

Cleaned the wheel arches today just for something to do while i wait on parts to arrive. (note: ill-fitting speed bleeders are temporary)

541786_10151309019951897_805801686_n.jpg

I'm restoring 3 sets of wheels at once at the moment, one of which might make their way onto the BMW.

8333025972_0351cbe537_c.jpg

I may have an automatic badge lurking around somewhere, along with some other parts left over from the conversion. I'll have a look and see what I've got.

that'd be good mate. email me at jace.bird (at) hotmail.com

(pretty sure the forum email system doesn't work for me)

• 2 months later...