• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For you valve adjusting nerds!

wegweiser

Since I really only use 3 different feeler gauges (and only the valve adjustment tends to chew up the gauge blades), I thought I'd look into a big dumb roll of .007"....here 'tis!

For $25, you'll have enough to last a lifetime!

http://www.cometsupply.com/cp/5_2160_3254/mn/L.S.%20STARRETT/pm/PBR19315/

post-2748-13667662934548_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Stone -

If you google ".007 feeler gauge" as a "shopping" tab, you'll find many vendors selling them. I got mine from Amazon for about the same $

Available in a bunch of different thicknesses, too. Marked every 6" in both SAE and Metric thickness.... what's not to love?

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Woah, I am truly mesmerized.... That's inspiring Paul. I might just have to get me some .006, and .007. After the next paycheck of course.

Sean keeps using the same beat to death little stub of a .007 that he has for eons. I'll go, here have a new one, or three...

I like to set them at a cold .006 and Sean likes them at hot .007.

Now I just need to look up some steel rod stock to bend some more nails from and I'm in business. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Brand-Thickness-Feeler-Length/dp/B007IVP6VM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1343832598

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Great idea but what is the best way of cutting off a piece so that there's not a lip or burr on the edge that might affect its accuracy. I can see snips leaving a curled edge, and a dremel leaving a burr that would have to be filed off. But I guess if you insert the feeler from the side, that wouldn't be a problem. Just curious what the best way to snip off a few inches would be.

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

68 Zundapp ISDT Racer (original 350 miles)

87 BMW 735i (frozen motor)

79 VW Westphalia (for sale)

55 AJS 500cc Enduro Non-running Ekins bike

72 Yamaha XS2 (in many boxes)

Great idea but what is the best way of cutting off a piece so that there's not a lip or burr on the edge that might affect its accuracy. I can see snips leaving a curled edge, and a dremel leaving a burr that would have to be filed off. But I guess if you insert the feeler from the side, that wouldn't be a problem. Just curious what the best way to snip off a few inches would be.

a pair of common scissors work fine. you can always planish the edge with a hammer if necessary. our local Snap-On truck would prepare 12in lengths of feeler gauge stock with a blunt triangular tip for our mechanics. i was able to talk one of them into providing me with a length of 0.006in stock several years ago.

another gauge i've made out of simple piece of weld rod was a go no-go gauge 189mm long (IIRC) to quickly determine if my brake drums are reuseable. if it does not seat within the drum squarely, it's good to go. similar such rod lengths can be made for the tii linkage. simple, effective and cheap.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa