• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

turn signal problem

tandups

• 1 year later...

I was browsing around on yonder shores, on the UK '02 forum the other day and found this little tweak on the turn signal wires.

'wire a 6.8 ohm resistor in parallel with the indicator bulb in the boot(trunk), all this does is draw about 10W of extra current through the circuit, which if all the bulbs are good should be more than enough to get the relay working again.'

Here's the link : http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3820

Anyone tried this ?

I haven't tried this yet myself, as my dash indicator light miraculously started working. But of course that could all change again...in which case I'll give it a bash.

That's just the sort of thing I'd expect from the Brits when it comes to automotive electrics. It also sounds like a great way to blow fuses or start a fire in your trunk.

I actually came here because of the same issues with my '73, but seeking information about the inherent differences between emergency flasher switches prior to and after about 1974. Apparently, earlier ones (or more specifically, '71, '72, and '73) do not have a resistor on the back and don't light up with the headlights. These are rumored to be not interchangeable.

I respectfully recommend replacing worn parts with genuine BMW stuff from a reputable reseller like Max or Wally Nesch over any shadetree voodoo.

Cheers ;-)

I like the feature where the indicator light only blinks once, that's all I need to see

I just always figured it was custom feature and easier on your eyes at night

Euro cars aren't as big on dash lites like American cars !!

Got a loaner Mercedes a while back, it has a coffee cup indicator in dash -

It's supposed to remind you may be tired and need to pull over !!

Edited by NutBehindTheWheel

Nut (fka weevil)

My Claim To Fame - Worked On Harmon Fisher's Car !!! Yes the infamous 2002 F !!!

# 1 72 '02 Malaga, # 2 72 '02 Colorado, # 3 72 '02 Blue, # 4 72 '02 Malaga, # 5 72 tii, # 6 68 1602, # 17 68/76 '02 Custom Red, # 28 74 '02 Brown Metallic, 72 3.0 Csi, 73 3.0Csi, 80 735 Euro, 728 Parts Car

If you are running a stock Roundie set up:

The OEM flasher unit works PERFECTLY IF all circuits are operating with the correct resistance. Most common problem is that the wrong wattage of bulbs are used. The lights will work correctly, but the flasher unit turn signal output to dash light WILL NOT.

Correct wattages are marked inside the fixtures and can also be found in service literature.

Of course corroded grounds effect this as well. Your front signal fixtures are grounded to the fenders with a sheet metal screw. Over the years that connection gets bad. Throughly clean to bare metal.

Check under your voltage regulator. There is a thick brown ground wire. It too is secured to the fender with a sheet metal screw. Clean and through-bolt that connection to the inner fender.

My stock set up has been working perfectly since I made those fixes.

PS. I bought the STERN/Hella third brake light, cause the stock lights in back are weak. Not interested in LED and the wattage/resistance fiasco.

My $.02

73 Inka Tii #2762958

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, I was wondering if someone can help me with my problem.

I was trying to read up on the turn signal problem and was trying to see if I can source the problem.

I had found a green/ white stripe wire near the relay on the steering column that looked screwed to the body. I took it out and clean it a little and when I put it back, my electric fuel pump, charge light on the dash, and RPM gauge stopped working. I noticed because at first the car started but no rpm, then it finally died where I noticed the fuel pump wasn't working. Can someone help me confirm what that wire was?

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I am having issues as well. I posted a previous thread about this, but wanted to add mu issue to this one. 

76 02, changed out all lighting to LED, everything works in the rear. My front blinkers are the issue. The right one works, until I turn my head lights on. The left does not work at all, either way. If I leave my right one on for a bit then turn my left on, it blinks one time. If I turn my hazards on, they work. When I turn my head light on and try to use the blinker, then my radio lights flash. I have traded out the flasher to an electronic one, I have replaced the blinker assembly ( $350.00 that was a hard pill to swallow ) I have connected a direct ground wire to the blinker itself. These are a few things that were suggested to try, all with negative results. 

43 minutes ago, hudo12 said:

My front blinkers are the issue.

Sounds like you might have a variety of problems occurring.  I would revert to the analog bulbs in the front before continuing to troubleshoot.

There are 2 wires inside the front signal light fixture.  Try reversing the wires.  One wire is for the park light.  The other is for the turn signal.  They are different wattage and will at least affect the blinker on the dash.  Have you cleaned and confirmed that the fixture screws are grounding properly?  A temp wire to a known ground will confirm that your fixtures are grounded.

Which LEDs do you have in the rear? 

73 Inka Tii #2762958

58 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Sounds like you might have a variety of problems occurring.  I would revert to the analog bulbs in the front before continuing to troubleshoot.

There are 2 wires inside the front signal light fixture.  Try reversing the wires.  One wire is for the park light.  The other is for the turn signal.  They are different wattage and will at least affect the blinker on the dash.  Have you cleaned and confirmed that the fixture screws are grounding properly?  A temp wire to a known ground will confirm that your fixtures are grounded.

Which LEDs do you have in the rear? 

I bought them from superbrightled.com all bulbs where replaced. I even put the reg bulbs back in the front blinkers and no improvement. I did switch the two wires at the blinker and that didn't help either. And the blinker assembly is installed when testing. I've learned that it grounds itself when installed to the fender. I am not even sure if the parking/blinkers worked prior to the bulb switch out. The light in the dash works when the right front blinker is working. I even bought one led with the 2 point connector on the bulb and that didn't help. My skill level with this is  a neg 10  so I have no clue. Just thought I'd throw it out there in case there was a simple solution. I am planning to bring it to a shop this week. Most friends I have say its back feeding somewhere. 

16 minutes ago, hudo12 said:

Thanks for taking the time to discuss

No problem.  Electrical gremlins are frustrating to diagnose.

On the roundie, the wattages of the bulbs are marked inside the fittings.  Incorrect bulbs will defeat the dash light almost certainly.

Confirm that you are using double filament bulbs in the front fixtures.

If all your contacts and grounds appear clean and connected with the correct bulbs in place the systems should function properly.    If not, I'd look at the flasher module, flasher wiring and lastly the fuse box, since you are saying that your headlights and radio are in play.  They shouldn't have anything to do with your running lights.

I've tried the Superbright led lights that replace the 1157 and 1156 bulbs.  The wattage is extremely low and will not allow a regular flasher unit to work properly.  I couldn't use them also because they don't work well with the roundie lenses.  Recently though I've seen electronic flashers "for LEDs".  

73 Inka Tii #2762958