• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How i saved a bunch of cracked, faded license plate lights

jerry

i can't stomach the cost of those plastic license plate lights. the last time i looked they were fetching over $30/each. that would be tolerable if they were more durable, but in time they either fade, crack or get hit. i had a small drawer full of damaged lights, so i decided to give them a facelift.

i used RTV sealant on the interior surface to seal the cracks, using my finger to smooth it somewhat. i even ran a bead across the clear window when i discovered a crack there as well.

i cut small pieces of masking tape to protect the window from paint. it was not necessary to get an exact match, no one will know.

a coat of grey primer followed by metallic chrome and they are good for at least another year or two or three, or.....

and now they match my chrome-painted rear bumper!!!

i'm guessing that my collection will save me a couple hundred in replacement cost.

i'd rather spend my money on weather stripping and go-fast parts.

post-260-13667662181213_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667662182747_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667662184251_thumb.jpg

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

Great write up. BTW I am looking for the greyish plastic you put under the rubber gasket, I ordered 1 set of the lenses they didn't send those, and I checked real OEM, there was no #. Thanks

Great idea!

Wish I had thought of that earlier myself.

I replaced my entire rear license plate frame because it was rusted to hell and both light covers were cracked and old. I got a good condition used complete assembly and swapped it out, but then I threw away the old parts as I didn't think there was a way to refurb them.

Very nice

12 BMW 135i + 76 BMW 2002

Well done...I think I will give that a go with mine.

Thanks

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Great write up. BTW I am looking for the greyish plastic you put under the rubber gasket, I ordered 1 set of the lenses they didn't send those, and I checked real OEM, there was no #. Thanks

# 63 26 8 777 102 License plate light (comes with seal to base, but no light bulb)

# 63 26 8 477 106 and 107 License plate light base (There is a left and right side)

# 63 26 8 477 105 License plate base seal to body

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Nice job! They don't look bad at all.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978