• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Play/slop in the steering wheel

Did a forum search and found some vaguely related articles dealing w/ tyres out of round or balance issues. don't believe that's the case here

Took the car for a driver yesterday and noticed a bit of play in the steering wheel (maybe less than an inch) as well as a vibration. Speed doesn't impact the vibration though if I hold the steering wheel in the middle of the slop area, I don't feel the vibration. The car tracks straight and the vibration in only in the wheel (don't feel it in the rest of the car.

Replaced the driverside ball joint, new tie rods, center link, and new bushings in the front end (no sway bar).

Haven't checked the condition of the steering coupler (will do so tonight) but could a dead/dying coupler give me this amount of play?

thanks

Dennis

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty. When the People fear the Government, that is tyranny."

- Thomas Jefferson

my suggestion is to put the front end up on jackstands. straighten out the front wheels. reach in through the DS window as you keep an eye on the front wheel and see how much play you have in the steering wheel before the tires move side-to-side. if this is the case, it suggests that your steering box needs adjustment. if you are lucky, you'll still have a few threads remaining on the solo adjustment screw that is on the top of the box. it's the one with a locknut on it, right next to the red-plastic cap. screwing it in tightens up the slop in you steering wheel. by now, it's likely to have little to no adjustment remaining.

if you're lucky, it's never been adjusted and you will have plenty of adjustment left.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Did a forum search and found some vaguely related articles dealing w/ tyres out of round or balance issues. don't believe that's the case here

Took the car for a driver yesterday and noticed a bit of play in the steering wheel (maybe less than an inch) as well as a vibration. Speed doesn't impact the vibration though if I hold the steering wheel in the middle of the slop area, I don't feel the vibration. The car tracks straight and the vibration in only in the wheel (don't feel it in the rest of the car.

Replaced the driverside ball joint, new tie rods, center link, and new bushings in the front end (no sway bar).

Haven't checked the condition of the steering coupler (will do so tonight) but could a dead/dying coupler give me this amount of play?

thanks

Dennis

Check all the front end parts on the other side including passenger's side ball joint and drag link bushings(pittman arm) upper strut mounts and wheel bearing play. Check that steering shaft tube under dash is bolted up good and tight at the firewall.(4-10mm nuts). Check steering coupler bolt(the one that goes through the shaft where it connects to the steering box) if this tube is popped back from the firewall. Adjust the steering box only after you have checked all these things. It helps to have an assistant turn the wheel while you observe things from underneath.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

thanks for the suggestions. The passenger side ball joint is in good shape (checked that while replacing the driver side) as well as the wheel bearings (replaced those the other week). Will check the steering shaft and eyeball the steering coupler.

Not sure what's in the steering box as a lube -- is pulling the steering box (to do a flush and fill) a significant undertaking?

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty. When the People fear the Government, that is tyranny."

- Thomas Jefferson

You don't need to pull it unless it's leaking. If you want to change the fluid, suck it out with a mity-vac and put fresh oil in. It's not worth taking the box out otherwise. Too much stuff to take off. As CD mentioned above it's important to use HYPOID 90W oil. Make sure it says HYPOID.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Guest Anonymous

Agree - you probably have two problems: the steering box needs tightening (don't over-tighten - just enough to remove the play) and a wheel out of balance - u could switch wheels around and see if that changes the vibration.

If there is no vibration in the middle of the slack area, but when you turn slightly the vibration occurs, could it not be an unbalance wheel?

Sometimes it is the simplist things.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Driving home last night, the thought went thru my head that i could have a tyre out of round/ flat spotted. the car has been sitting a while.

Easiest thing to do is rotate the tyres and feel what happens.

Thanks

- Thomas Jefferson

Well, rotated the tires Friday and the initial drive was vibration free. will be taking her into work on Monday so I'll have a chance to see how she feels on a longer drive at speed.

Haven't had a chance to look at the steering box - was elbow deep in re-tiling the bathroom - but that'll be def next on the list.

- Thomas Jefferson