• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Easy(ier-ish) 5 lug swap

eugene_'02

Someone finally came out with a nice 5x120 adapter, $400/set hubcentric between 18 and 35mm thick. Not that we're lacking in wheel choice now, but the ability to mount all those 80's 15x8 & 16x8 wheels under flares is awesome. There are lots of cool period-ish wheels on e24s/e28s and often for fairly cheap as many of those people go up to 17s.

425577_200597956713555_101923966580955_296895_1354007376_n.jpg

http://www.8380labs.com/collections/all[/i]

I know one way I saw it done was on a Fabtech (I think) 02, they had custom made the rear hubs and the fronts were done with E12 5 lug stuff if I remember correctly.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

How do adapters work with 4x100 wheel studs? I know it's easy with VW's because they have lug bolts but I've always wondered how the older BMW/Honda guys run adapters?

You have to switch to E21 hubs, they're required anyways if you want to upgrade your brakes. I guess you would have to have the rear hubs drilled/tapped. I've been dealing with e21/e30 trailing arms too much recently which run lug bolts. Nuts, foiled again. It's still easier than doing what that shop in Portland did.

OP title edited.

Interesting as I recently picked up a set of BBS rs005's (3-piece 16 x 7) on a ratty 528e in a local pick-n-pull. I have tii front struts (easy conversion to 5-lug using 5-series parts) and I have e21 323i rear trailing arms which would work with these adapters. All I'll need now is the proper size flairs - the fun never stops.

Someone finally came out with a nice 5x120 adapter, $400/set hubcentric between 18 and 35mm thick. Not that we're lacking in wheel choice now, but the ability to mount all those 80's 15x8 & 16x8 wheels under flares is awesome. There are lots of cool period-ish wheels on e24s/e28s and often for fairly cheap as many of those people go up to 17s.

Awesome! Thanks for this. I have a set of Weds e36 15 inch gold bbs rs lookalikes which would look great on my 2002!!! :)

hmm...tons of 4x100 wheels available in 15 and 16in sizes. never knew that there was an issue finding them. the wheels are usually cheaper than $400 adapters....

5x120 or other non 4x100 bolt pattern are usually way cheaper in 15" or 16", not an availability issue. But I'm with you, add 400.00 and at the expense of even lower offset=deal killer. I guess the key word is flares. But this this was probably produced for the vw crowd anyway.

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

i guess "cheap" needs to be defined. brand new rota rb's in 15x7 are less than $500 a set. about the same price as the adapters. seems pretty cheap, and available, to me! :-)

It's primarily aimed at the 3pc wheels. There are lots of cool old ones from the 5 lug cars which were not available in 4-lug. You can get those old E24/28 wheels for 250/setvs most 4-lug like the RS or Epsilons which are over 1000. Most of the e24/28 wheels are 15 or 16x8 et 20-22, so et 2-4 w/spacers which is perfect on an 8" rim and you'll still have some dish. Yeah, you need flares, so...you need flares with 8" wheels anyways unless you stretch/camber the hell of your tires/wheels. Less dish = more caliper clearance.

well, they are a lot uglier than a Panasport... but priced accordingly.

That adaptor's clever.

The only real weiner I can see for it, though, is that if I mount up a set

of RA1's on the E36 rims, I can now use them on the 2002 as well.

But yeeps- for $400, I'll make my own.

No, wait. Screw all that. I'll take the Pro3 car and be done with ALL of it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 5 months later...

5x120 or other non 4x100 bolt pattern are usually way cheaper in 15" or 16", not an availability issue. But I'm with you, add 400.00 and at the expense of even lower offset=deal killer. I guess the key word is flares. But this this was probably produced for the vw crowd anyway.

the vast majority of the sets we've sold have been to e30 guys - they make a lot of sense and work really nicely for what they're trying to do.

here's an explanation of why:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showpost.php?p=3245614&postcount=212

8380 Laboratories

Like our Facebook Page - Stay current on our Classic BMW & Motorsport Designs!