• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Registering OUT STATE Modified 02 in CALIFORNIA

redphu72

When you register it at the DMV, they will want to do a visual inspection of the VIN on the car to make sure it matches up to the title, that's all. They would be clueless as to what type of motor is under the hood. You should not have any issues registering it in CA. If you had a 76 2002, you would have to have it smog tested. Don't bring in a 76 or newer gray market car from out of state and try to register it in CA unless you like lots of pain and have deep pockets. AMHIK.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

The way the regulations are written, they technically can (and are supposed to) check for the presence of all original emissions equipment and all of the emissions labels, however I've never seen them do it, as Gordon points out. Just act dumb and don't volunteer any information. The DMV "inspection" clerk is just an office worker, and indeed they're mostly concerned about the VIN (and won't care about the engine number or other details).

Separately from the DMV, you need a brake and light inspection. Make sure all of the lights are working properly and the lenses are not cracked. They will also check that the brakes are in spec (not sure what, if anything, they do for drums, but they will check the disc width vs. a spec sheet). That one is common-sense stuff and the shops doing it are pretty nice and mostly want to look at your cool car, just be sure to tell them how the turn signal works (in my case they let me work it and didn't sit in the car, they just asked me to turn the signals on, brakes, etc).

CA doesn't check that anything like brakes or lights... If you do have any concerns or issues, and you're a AAA member, you can get it registered at one of their offices, very easy. They come out and look at the VIN and give it a go. I brought in an 86' 951 that had crazy engine mods on it and the AAA people just said, "okay, looks good". Getting it smogged was a different story. No checks at all for safety, lights, turn signals, etc... that's why the drivers out here are so bad. ;-)

Separately from the DMV, you need a brake and light inspection. Make sure all of the lights are working properly and the lenses are not cracked. They will also check that the brakes are in spec (not sure what, if anything, they do for drums, but they will check the disc width vs. a spec sheet). That one is common-sense stuff and the shops doing it are pretty nice and mostly want to look at your cool car, just be sure to tell them how the turn signal works (in my case they let me work it and didn't sit in the car, they just asked me to turn the signals on, brakes, etc).

CA DMV only checks brakes, lights, etc... if the car has a salvage title. IIRC correctly, Andrey bought his 73 Golf Bavaria at a Pik-a-Part yard resale lot. Nothing was wrong with the car when it was donated to the salvage yard so Pik-a-Part sold it. Since the salvage yard sold the car, it had a salvage title even though it was never wrecked, flooded, etc.... Each state has different rules, do your homework.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

The last two cars I bought from out of state and brought back to California were checked at DMV. They only wanted to see the VIN and match it to the title. They could have cared less about anything else. They were not salvage, but they did get emmissions inspections. YMMV

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

Thanks everyone, I'm going to go the AAA route; seems like membership has its privileges : )

FWIW....When I took my 1984 Merc 300D that I purchased from AZ last year to AAA, the person verifying the VIN# starting looking for the smog sticker under the hood. I told her that this was a 1984 diesel and did not need to be smogged (pre 1998), however, she stated that the car still should have a smog sticker on it stating that it is CA legal (which is a yellow sticker, mine has a black sticker stated basically that it is a 49 state Merc). I stood there in the parking lot for 5 minutes arguing with her. I thought she wasn't going to let it go, however, in the end, it is now registered in CA.

They may give you some crap at AAA, however, they shouldn't. AAA is way better than the DMV. I've called the DMV 5 different times with questions about an out of state car prior to purchasing, and I would get 5 different answers. At least AAA is a bit more consistant. A 1971 should be a no brainer.....just be prepared to push back a bit....politely

1974 2002 Verona & 1973 2002 Riviera

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L PSD Wife's

Interesting that you got a 49 state car registered in Cali.

Cheers,

Ray

Thanks everyone, I'm going to go the AAA route; seems like membership has its privileges : )

FWIW....When I took my 1984 Merc 300D that I purchased from AZ last year to AAA, the person verifying the VIN# starting looking for the smog sticker under the hood. I told her that this was a 1984 diesel and did not need to be smogged (pre 1998), however, she stated that the car still should have a smog sticker on it stating that it is CA legal (which is a yellow sticker, mine has a black sticker stated basically that it is a 49 state Merc). I stood there in the parking lot for 5 minutes arguing with her. I thought she wasn't going to let it go, however, in the end, it is now registered in CA.

They may give you some crap at AAA, however, they shouldn't. AAA is way better than the DMV. I've called the DMV 5 different times with questions about an out of state car prior to purchasing, and I would get 5 different answers. At least AAA is a bit more consistant. A 1971 should be a no brainer.....just be prepared to push back a bit....politely

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.