• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hats off to North Hollywood Speedometer

eastsidebimmer

I don't have any service records for my socal 68 2002 before my ownership started in 2005 so when I pulled my instrument cluster during the restoration I was excited to see this little orange label from North Hollywood Speedometer & Clock Co from 7/1/1971. It looks like my speedo was in for service at 20,080 miles---I'm at ~167K now so what this means is their repair has lasted about 150K miles longer than the original part. I'm sure there are now lots of places to get a VDO fixed, but how many businesses that started in 1955 are still around and are located on the same street? Bravo NHS...!

http://www.nhspeedometer.com/

347zcs0.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

I've used them in the past, and probably will again...but...my latest repaired speedo from them decided to go wonky after three and a half years. The odometer reads correctly, but the speedo is reading a good percentage low. (20 mph indicated = about 35mph, and 50mph indicated is actually 70+mph)

It's a pain to have to do it again, but I fully realize we are dealing with 40 year old parts, that have been repaired. Maybe I'll select a different speedo out of my parts bin to send down to them.

You got a good one in your bunch.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

• 8 years later...

Giant thumbs down to North Hollywood Speedometer 

They now offer to fix Tii clock for $750 instead of $150 because they say they have the 6 quarts movements 

I'm all for making money but completely against GAUGING 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

There’s a guy over on the 911S registry that will service your Kuenzel for $50. If it needs repair he sends it to Jeff in Texas who rebuilt mine for $150. Wish I could be more helpful but will look in my file for receipts and more info. 
north Hollywood became accustomed to the Porsche market where it’s whatever the market will bear.

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

21 minutes ago, Mike A said:

North Hollywood became accustomed to the Porsche market where it’s whatever the market will bear.

P-car owners seem to have deeper pockets than the 2002 guys!!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Recent experience with NHS seem much less positive than in years past. They kept my Alpina tach for a year, then it didn't work when installed. Had to remove it and send it back, risking shipping damage both ways. Communication was bad, both with me and my shop. Would not use again.

• Sad 1