• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical Gauges.

UroTrash

I'm putting 3 gauges in my 1975 2002.

An oil pressure, oil temp and third to be determined.

Would you prefer a voltmeter or ammeter?

I admit, I'm not sure what each one tells you; would anyone be kind enought to tell me what info each conveys and why one may be more useful than the other? (ammeter vs voltmeter)

Thanks! :)

1970 Nevada 2002 Survivor

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

I also go for water temp and you can consider doing away with oil temp. I have both (water and oil temp) and they are almost always the same.

Then that leaves you with the question, what else do I add?

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Ammeters are a thing of the past more suited to dynamos than alternators since you could monitor the current discharging the battery when the dynamo wasn't charging at low revs.

Of course the high current cable that your whole electrical system relies upon, looping around your car would also be enough to put me off

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Ammeters are a thing of the past more suited to dynamos than alternators since you could monitor the current discharging the battery when the dynamo wasn't charging at low revs.

Of course the high current cable that your whole electrical system relies upon, looping around your car would also be enough to put me off

Yikes. I have a car with an ammeter. Scary.

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

fritz or when you're consuming more current than the alternator is making...and you already have a water temp gauge that is pretty accurate. Check archives for what the temp is according to the needle's position.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

fritz or when you're consuming more current than the alternator is making...and you already have a water temp gauge that is pretty accurate. Check archives for what the temp is according to the needle's position.

mike

Thats what i was thinking, I have the water temp gauge that, doesn't have numbers, but I know where it likes to live!

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

remove the fuel/water temp gauge from the instrument housing and look at the very edge of the temp gauge background (with the blue and red segements). You'll notice very small numbers that aren't visible when the gauge is in its housing--these numbers correspond to temperature in centigrade. Now you'll know what your gauge is reading.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

remove the fuel/water temp gauge from the instrument housing and look at the very edge of the temp gauge background (with the blue and red segements). You'll notice very small numbers that aren't visible when the gauge is in its housing--these numbers correspond to temperature in centigrade. Now you'll know what your gauge is reading.

cheers

mike

Wow! Are you kidding me? tooooo cool!

I LOVE this place!

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii