• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD. 1971 now on e-bay

MikeWooldridge

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the positive comments; many phone calls and e-mails from across the country. Sure hate that I won't be able to make one last trip to Eureka Springs in it. Maybe the new buyer will let me ride with him/her.

I'm still coming to Eureka...maybe in another BMW. Who knows!

j9273c.jpg

"FAQ Member Number 60"

It's amazing how many potential buyers ask about a "buy it now" price when it plainly states that it is an auction. Has anyone ever pulled a car from the auction and sold outside e-bay to someone who found the car on e-bay? Just curious.

j9273c.jpg

"FAQ Member Number 60"

Now that is a nice car.

I have had a friend pull an auction to sell outside of eBay. I have mixed feelings:

- in this case the joker who bought the car sent my friend money sight unseen and had him deliver the car. A day or so afterward he called him and said he wants the money back. Real story is likely that he's a car flipper and had a buyer lined up who didn't want that car. Lovely.

- with eBay, the buyer is protected, he can come pick the car up and refuse it for almost any reason. That sucks for sellers and is real convenient for buyers.

- off-eBay, it's a matter of if you got their money or not, they can flake out (and you can't leave negative feedback) but on the other hand if you got their money first (like in my friend's story) you can tell them to take a hike at least and they can't leave you bad feedback (fabricated or not)

I wouldn't pull the auction, may as well be able to leave negative feedback for a buyer who flakes and let people bid, that is unless the person you're pulling it for is someone you know and at least sort of trust, in which case pull it and don't deal with the eBay weirdos.

That reminds me of a completed auction where I agree to deliver the car within a 500 mile radius. Buyer sent deposit, balance to be paid when I delivered car, only to have him start negotiating the price, after he'd already won the auction. I balked, and drove the car back home. From now on, the balance due will be in my account before I do anything.

Thanks for your input.

j9273c.jpg

"FAQ Member Number 60"

Mike: That is a beautifully restored '02. It deserves to be owned and driven by a "true friend of Alex von Falkenhausen". Please don't settle for anything less. It has been said: buyer beware, but the seller must beware of dishonest people just as surely. Demand full payment in cash before you make any move toward turning over this beautiful 2002. (my 02 cents)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I actually bought an e9 coupe (found on ebay about 10 yrs ago) from a fellow about 5 hrs from me. I called in the middle of a slow auction and offered him a price. He agreed, and pulled the auction...I drove down two days later, saw the car for approval, drove home, fedex'd a bank check the next day. He had a neighbor kid drive it up to Korman's shop (my only big mistake..that's another story..), met the kid, took him to the airport to rent a car to drive home... Still have the car.

If I was in the market, I'd call you with an offer...its very handsome. Good luck.

Dave V. in NC

It's amazing how many potential buyers ask about a "buy it now" price when it plainly states that it is an auction. Has anyone ever pulled a car from the auction and sold outside e-bay to someone who found the car on e-bay? Just curious.

against the rules and they'll bounce you if they find out.

Charlie

1973 '02 - Chamonix White

1977 320i - Madeira

{option}