• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest tire size without rubbing???

jate

I have 15x7 Beyern wheels w/ et27 and I am trying to decide whether to go with 195/50/15 or 205/50/15. I would rather go with the 205s but I am concerned with rubbing.

The car is a 76 with a stock suspension. Will the 205s work without any modifications? Does anyone have any pics of a either a 195 or 205 tire on a 15x7 rim on a car with a stock suspension?

Thanks!!!

JT

1976 2002 Fjord Blue

2013 750iLX Alpine White

2008 Porsche Boxster Meteor Gray

A 195 from one vendor may be wider than a 205 from another vendor. One 195 may fit, where another may not. Some 205s fit, some don't.

I have 15X7 et 25s with 195's on my 76. My suspension is lowered about 1.75". I had to roll the fenders quite a bit to make the tires fit, and still get a bit of rubbing up front in hard turns.

Also, keep in mind that the car is 35 years old, so the geometry of the suspension may have changed a bit due to metal fatigue, tired springs, worn out bushings, old shocks, etc.

Summary: because 15X7's may be pushing it a bit, you should test try, or at least carefully measure any tires you plan to install before purchasing, if at all possible. Alternatively, be prepared to roll your fenders after the fact, with the understanding that you may crack some paint in the process.

Wish I could be more helpful.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

I run Kunho 205/50/15 with et25 and have zero rubbing and I am lowreed with H7R sprnigs. I ordered the Beyern Wheels and will be getting them installed tomorrow with my 205's

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Guest Anonymous

I had both sizes on 15X7's ET 25 and the 205's rubbed a tad on the inside of the fender at full lock. safest is to run 195's. The difference of the tire size is not noticeable on 15X7's anyway. Car is also lowered with billys and Eibachs

"I have 15x7 Beyern wheels w/ et27 ....go with 195/50/15

or 205/50/15....i'm am concerned with rubbing...

The car is a 76 with a stock suspension. Will the 205s

work without any modifications? (NO)....

a car with a stock suspension..."

you cannot do this with 30 year old STOCK suspension

you will need to 'update' your suspension first

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Every car is different... Some people have the exact same Panasports as me and zero issues. I have slight rubbing on the fender lips in the rear.

Suspension will be a variable.

have the fenders been removed/replaced? that's another variable... One of my front fenders is slightly different then the other in regards to wheel well height...

and as somebody mentioned, tire brand makes a difference...

so if i were you, i'd lean on the conservative side unless you plan on building the car around the wheels (add wheels then flare or roll fenders, build suspension/ride height to match your wheels, etc).

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

I have 15x7 ET25 Rotas and 195/50 15 Yokohama S.Drives upfront. Eibach springs (they tend to sit a little high in the front, even with height spacers and spring pads removed), billy sports, and every single piece or rubber and ball joint in the car is new. No rubbing. I'd like to go lower in the front, but the wheels stick out so far I fear the tire will munch the fender, so I'm going to try and tone the camber inwards to -2 degrees, as the alignment reveals I'm still running on the + side of camber in the front.

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

I have 15x7 ET25 Rotas and 195/50 15 Yokohama S.Drives upfront. Eibach springs (they tend to sit a little high in the front, even with height spacers and spring pads removed), billy sports, and every single piece or rubber and ball joint in the car is new. No rubbing. I'd like to go lower in the front, but the wheels stick out so far I fear the tire will munch the fender, so I'm going to try and tone the camber inwards to -2 degrees, as the alignment reveals I'm still running on the + side of camber in the front.[/quote

I plan to go with S Drives as well. I will be replacing all the wear parts on the suspension including the springs. Do you have any pictures of your wheels and tires and how they sit within the wheel wells. Do 195s look a little skinny on 7" wide rims?

1976 2002 Fjord Blue

2013 750iLX Alpine White

I run Kunho 205/50/15 with et25 and have zero rubbing and I am lowreed with H7R sprnigs. I ordered the Beyern Wheels and will be getting them installed tomorrow with my 205's

Congrats, please post pictures and let me know how they fit. Thanks!

1976 2002 Fjord Blue

2013 750iLX Alpine White

This is the side of my car that, in hard dips, had front rub issues with eibachs and HDs. I switched to sports and the issue subsided. I cut half a turn off the springs now as well.

195s on 7" wheels, and sometimes, they strike me as too big for the car.

2d53e623.jpg

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I plan to go with S Drives as well. I will be replacing all the wear parts on the suspension including the springs. Do you have any pictures of your wheels and tires and how they sit within the wheel wells. Do 195s look a little skinny on 7" wide rims?

I don't feel 195s are too skinny at all on the 7'' wide wheel, especially not S.drives. Pics aren't the best but here they are.

CyrusshotsofMinty2.jpg

CyrusshotsofMinty9.jpg

CyrusshotsofMinty10.jpg

It's hard to tell from the photo's but the wheels poke out a little bit from the fender. I fear going lower as the tire may munch the fender, so I"m going to order a set of fixed camber plates from Ireland to see if that will bring the tops of the tires under the fender. An alignment revealed that even after lowering the car, as well as removing DOT height spacers and spring pads, I still have POSITIVE camber in the front. Sheesh. The goal is to run -1.

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

I don't feel 195s are too skinny at all on the 7'' wide wheel, especially not S.drives. Pics aren't the best but here they are.

CyrusshotsofMinty2.jpg

CyrusshotsofMinty9.jpg

CyrusshotsofMinty10.jpg

It's hard to tell from the photo's but the wheels poke out a little bit from the fender. I fear going lower as the tire may munch the fender, so I"m going to order a set of fixed camber plates from Ireland to see if that will bring the tops of the tires under the fender. An alignment revealed that even after lowering the car, as well as removing DOT height spacers and spring pads, I still have POSITIVE camber in the front. Sheesh. The goal is to run -1.

The pictures are very helpful. They look great, especially up against that cool Mintgrun paint. Thanks! I think I will stick with the 195/50/15.

Cheers,

JT

1976 2002 Fjord Blue

2013 750iLX Alpine White