• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory pic. E21 Recaro offered as option in a 2002

Henryn02

very cool......they shoulda never stopped such offerings.

Those appear to be aftermarket Recaros...not oe...I think I see a Recaro badge on them

Drvr looks like LS.....and pass is similiar to e21 seat...perhaps an N or L..or LX..or..lol. I sold these in the 70s.....

BMW Motorsport was sort of a separate company back then.

Those are an LS-adjustable and a model N, Idealseat 73 series which were aftermarket models, but they are shown with BMW motorsport fabric (seat facings only, vinyl sides and back) which was available only through BMW Motorsport. I believe it is the same coarse wooly fabric that was also available with Martini stripes, Alpina stripes and the well known Recaro Spectrum logo stripes. E-21 Recaros were all N-adjustable model Idealseat 73 series.

They are also showing RecaroPhonie headrests as an option, which had 3" Blaupunkt speakers in them, with wiring running inside the headrest mount tubes.

Recaro often did limited production run seats (with the same underpinnings as their aftermarket seats) for manufacturers, beside manufacturing bespoke seats for OEMs as well. There was even a run done for Ford Mustangs in the early 80's.

-David

69 1600 Voll Cabriolet (The Cab, aka Cabriolina)

69 (1600) Lotus Elan (the Lo-lo, aka FunElan)

16 (2500) Nissan Rogue (hate that CVT)

02SPORTSEATS.jpg

I have a pair of those Scheel seats. Hard to come by and spendy but super worth it.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David,

E-21 Recaros were all N-adjustable model Idealseat 73 series.

E21 Recaros were Idealseat 77 or Idealseat 81 with the latest cars. Idealseat 73 still had the reclining lever integrated in the hinge itself like it was on the earlier Idealseat S (though those Idealseat S were strangely only factory-delivered for 02 as the non-reclining type in connection with the special reclining consoles). Idealseat 77 already had the reclining lever appr. in the middle of the outer rest bolster.

Idealseat 73

idealsitz73foj90.jpg

Idealseat 81 (example photo without adjustable thigh support like original E21 seats all had)

idealsitz81pdkwx.jpg

Idealseat S

recsschwarzflechtnarbg5kx7.jpg

reclining BMW console

touringklappkonsole2kky6.jpg

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Hi all,

the scan posted above is from the 1976/77 BMW Motorsport accessories catalogue. Here´s a bigger picture:

bmwmotorsportsitze1fpk80.jpg

Like mentioned above one can see RECAROfonie headrests with intergrated speakers on the small picture, Recaro Idealseat LS 73 driver with Recaro Idealseat N 73 passenger on the left bigger picture and a pair of Scheel 500 (or 501 if reclining) on the right picture.

Second page of seats in the catalogue looks like this:

bmwmotorsportsitze2o2j2w.jpg

On the upper picture it´s a Scheel 100 driver (or 101 if backrest adjustable / like often mounted in 3,0CSL) and a Scheel 203 passenger. Lower picture shows a Recaro Rallye driver.

Colors and cloth can maybe be seen on this scan (other Motorsport brochure also dated 1976):

bmwmotorsportsitze356j6y.jpg

To my personal opinion Scheel 400 and 500 are fine seats for E3, E9 or E12 but they´re too big for 02 - interior looks somehow overcrowded. The smaller 203´s, that Alpina later on also used in their E21 B6 2,8, do fit better.

Scan of Alpina brochure with B6 interior photo:

alpinaprospektscheel2agvnk.jpg

As the original Alpina cloth is hardly available, it´s a bit tricky to recover Scheels in Alpina style nowadays. But I think I came close.

scheel203alpina56jum.jpg

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Man I wish I could afford a set of recaro Rallye seats, man those would be awesome...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Ask Blunt about his Scheel-Mann's that he acquired cheap. Those were very nice.

lol thanks My finger is just now healing from hitting the "buy it now" button so hard

Greg emailed me a link to my current scheels for 300 bucks

They were pulled out of a car in the 70's and wrapped up on a shelf for 40 years. One of the best deals Ive ever scored

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

That's like buying a NOS dash. It'd probably crack within a week of use.

;-)

Ray

[quote="BLUNTlol thanks My finger is just now healing from hitting the "buy it now" button so hard

Greg emailed me a link to my current scheels for 300 bucks

They were pulled out of a car in the 70's and wrapped up on a shelf for 40 years. One of the best deals Ive ever scored

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.