• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil pressure

Jahan

I started the car (74 BMW 2002 ) after an engine rebuild and almost a year of restoration. It started right up with the two new weber 40's. After 2 minutes, a lot of oil gushed out. Stopped the engine. The oil filter rubber gasket was blown out. Took the oil filter out, refitted the gasket , put it back and put oil in the engine. Started the car same thing happened. What are the possible causes. Please help.

Thanks.

Jahan

I had this happen on my E30 (M10...318i). I believe it was a sticky oil pressure relief valve. I put a new oil filter on and it didn't happen again, but I bought a new oil pump and had that changed. Have not experienced the problem again.

Saludos,

Brian McCall

El Salvador

2004 320i (E46)

1985 318 (E30)

1965 Citroën 2CV

Some cheap oil filters will do that in cold weather with thick oil...

79' 320i (comfy modified daily driver)

73' 2002 (weekend beater crusier/rolling resto)

73' 2002tii (superfast rust bucket undergoing restoration)

72' tii (parts car)  ...99' SV650  ...00' KTM 380 2 stroke ...06' Kawasaki Ninja 500R ...96' F-250 7.3L turbo diesel (towtruck)

yeah, CD's right- you got your oil pump relief valve put back together upside down.

The plunger's supposed to fit over the spring, and be loose in the bore.

It SEEMS wrong, so you flip the plunger- ahh, now it's better.

Except that it now doesn't relieve pressure.

And that damned pump can build a LOT on cold oil.

Pan has to come off, but the plunger can be woozled out

with the pump still on.

Sorry

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

You have the pressure relief valve assembled incorrectly. When you get the pan off remove the circlip from the bottom of the pump and remove the washer, tube, spring and plunger. Reassemble by putting the plunger (open end facing down) in first, then the spring, then the tube (there is a shoulder on the tube the SHORT END GOES UP) install the washer over the long end of tube and reinstall the circlip. I am sure either the tube or the plunger is installed up-side-down

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

you are correct and know what you are talking about. the shop had the tube in there upside down so the short end was sticking out. I followed your instructions and now the long end is out of the pump and the tube is not loose in there.

Thanks a lot to you and the o2faq

Jahan

• 1 year later...

You have the pressure relief valve assembled incorrectly. When you get the pan off remove the circlip from the bottom of the pump and remove the washer, tube, spring and plunger. Reassemble by putting the plunger (open end facing down) in first, then the spring, then the tube (there is a shoulder on the tube the SHORT END GOES UP) install the washer over the long end of tube and reinstall the circlip. I am sure either the tube or the plunger is installed up-side-down

I'm having the same trouble, and am searching through old threads, but still a little unclear. From my picture it seems that the tube is correctly installed, would you agree? Therefore, I can only conclude that the piston(aka plunger?) is installed incorrectly?

When I work this out I will make a faq about it with pretty pictures because between having two filters burst and spew oil over my new car and then having to wrestle the pan off because i thought i'd be clever and weld in a baffle was a NIGHTMARE. I would like to prevent anyone else making the same mistake...... arrrrhhh!!

EDIT: Sorry kittens, after a bunch more searching I seem to of found how things are meant to be. Still needed some venting though.

post-34583-0-53669500-1372084377_thumb.j

Edited by felix_666

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

1973 RHD Verona - Project

1974 RHD chamonix - Towed