• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

clarification on big brake parts.

Turb02

Im sure this has been covered but when reading the FAQ about the parts required for the standard 2002 brake upgrade, all it says is "mid 80's 240 with vented rotors".

Looking on Rock Auto there isnt "just" a 240. for example selecting the year 1985, I get these options in the 2xx range: 244 GL/DL/Turbo and a 245.

Can someone provide a solid year and model?

On the same topic, has anyone used the IE E21 hubs? Thoughts? Pros/cons?

Thanks everyone.

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold

We can't tell you.

Because it varied.

Any 240 COULD get the vented brake- I'm sure it was an option

on the sales slip- but it doesn't follow the more general designators.

Pleasantly, if you have a caliper for a vented brake off a 240, it will

work just fine.

So, sorry, no, can't clarify that any further than to say that

AUTOSPECIALTY / KELSEY-HAYES Part # 4121008 Remanufactured

Front Left Rebuilt Caliper 38MM - VENTED

will work

and

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0760446 More Information About this Part

[Front Caliper, Remanufactured]; Right;ATE Calipers;Solid Rotors

will not. Well, unless you use a solid 320 rotor!

That's how this one works. Probably would drive BMW engineers up the wall.

That's the Swedish way!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

So it doesnt matter what the nomenclature of the 240 (244/245) is, as long as it used vented rotors?

Thanks for that bit of info! Seems cheaper to piece the kit together than to buy one from IE or aardvark or any other place. Would my assumption on this be correct?

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold

Nope, doesn't matter. Do get one left and one right, tho!

And yes, I found that I could do it myself and save.

Don't forget the .070" spacers to center the calipers, either.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

" tii " brakes are all you need .

Even for my goals of 300whp? That's impressive.

maybe not but you didnt mentioned 300hp goal anywhere. thats not very conservative and informative to start this way.

i have a modest 280hp in mine, 240 vented volvo calipers, rear VW gti set-up Alfa GTV6 MC, hawk pads all around, 205's tires. car can break your neck both direction.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Any more I'm not sure you'd be able to replicate the kit for cheaper using all new (exept for refurbed calipers) for less than the IE kit. Considering the cost of Calipers/rotors/pads/new hubs/bearings/hub dust cover/12x57mm studs/little set screw + shipping from multiple vendors + the cost of redrilling/filling the calipers (optional, I know, but if your comparing apples to apples, this is part of the IE kit).

If you can piece it together for cheaper, and willing to spend the time, then by all means.

As for the IE hubs, they are a replica of the E21 small bearing hubs so I'm not sure what your asking.

Got these bad boys ready to go on in the next couple weeks (little too much lock-tite)....

IMG_2644.jpg

Any more I'm not sure you'd be able to replicate the kit for cheaper using all new (exept for refurbed calipers) for less than the IE kit. Considering the cost of Calipers/rotors/pads/new hubs/bearings/hub dust cover/12x57mm studs/little set screw + shipping from multiple vendors + the cost of redrilling/filling the calipers (optional, I know, but if your comparing apples to apples, this is part of the IE kit).

If you can piece it together for cheaper, and willing to spend the time, then by all means.

As for the IE hubs, they are a replica of the E21 small bearing hubs so I'm not sure what your asking.

Got these bad boys ready to go on in the next couple weeks (little too much lock-tite)....

IMG_2644.jpg

you got a lil happy w/ the loc tite?..!!!.lol...looks like rasberry filling

As stated before any vented volvo 240 calipers work except the late 92-93 abs calipers. Get the girling ones, volvo ate vented calipers don't have any aftermarket and hardly any OEM.

It's pretty cheap to piece together the kit. I've picked up the calipers/hubs for $50 from a yard before(lemons car).

Calipers rebuilt + new pads ~$120

Used 320i hubs + new wheel bearing kit ~$80

320i rotors from blunttech ~$70

two washers $0.50

optional

SS braided lines from summit $60

wheel studs from IE $22

Thanks everyone for the info. As for the hub reproduction, I was looking for how the fit and finish is? When I saw them today...been offline for a while, I wa shocked at the price and that someone actually reproduced them.

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold