• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Michelin XZX 13 inch tires?

UroTrash

I was at a car show over the weekend and one car there was a AH Sprite with new appearing 13 inch Michelin XZX tires.

I have searched and searched for these tires and have never found them. I ended up buying X-AS tires from Coker for my 2002.

Does anyone have any idea where you can source these tires.?

I never could find the Sprite guy. :(

1970 Nevada 2002 Survivor

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

even from specialty tire places like Coker. I have a set on my Sprite also, but they've been on the car for many years. Michelin doesn't make any 13" passenger car tires any more, at least according to their web site. I know Coker sells 13" XASs, but I'm not sure Michelin actually makes 'em.

Also, I don't think XZX tires came in 70 series--just 80. So you could buy a 165/80x13 (OEM size for a 2002) but not a 185/70 x 13. Michelin made that size, but not in an XZX.

Cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous

I don't know about Michelin XZX tires, however Coker does offer Michelin XDX in both 205/70-VR13 and and 185/70-VR13, but hang on to your hat (er, I mean wallet) those tires are $533, $528 each (yep, each). Pretty cool looking tread pattern I will say - alot of dough though. One of the very few remaining tires as far as I know available in those sizes with a "VR" rating.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

you need a friend in Spain, England, France....Plenty of those smaller sizes available thru

euro tire sellers because 1,000,000's

of cars using those sizes are still on the road there.

Not imported to usa tire sellers because of

the tiny market need here

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=michelin+165+%2f+80+x+13%22&view=detail&id=D1F6950B1A8EB15C583BD867ED10E6F696A70FB3&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Here is a link to the Michelin Passion website and the classic tires catalogue and it shows you the types and sizes available.

http://www.michelin-passion.com/passion/front/templates/document.DocumentRepositoryServlet?codeDocument=745&codeRepository=PASSION&codeRubrique=PASSION

The only 165/13" XAS tires which are currently available from dealers around the world are the Formula France (FF) type which is a much softer racing compound. The XAS-FF rear tires mounted on my cabriolet were totally worn after about 6,000 miles and had to be replaced at a cost of $300 (!) a piece including inner tube (required) and UPS shipping form the UK.

All these classic tires are produced by Michelin in France in realtively small batches every so many years.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

Here is a link to the Michelin Passion website and the classic tires catalogue and it shows you the types and sizes available.

http://www.michelin-passion.com/passion/front/templates/document.DocumentRepositoryServlet?codeDocument=745&codeRepository=PASSION&codeRubrique=PASSION

The only 165/13" XAS tires which are currently available from dealers around the world are the Formula France (FF) type which is a much softer racing compound. The XAS-FF rear tires mounted on my cabriolet were totally worn after about 6,000 miles and had to be replaced at a cost of $300 (!) a piece including inner tube (required) and UPS shipping form the UK.

All these classic tires are produced by Michelin in France in realtively small batches every so many years.

Well, I suppose those are the X-ASs I bought from Coker then....surprisingly short life!

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

I have a set of XZX 145-15 tires from Coker on the front of my VW.

IIRC, the 135's required inner tubes- not 100% sure about that.

Those XZX, MXL and MXV tires from Michelin are/were great. I ran them on all of my previous VW's and Hondas.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I have a set of XZX 145-15 tires from Coker on the front of my VW.

IIRC, the 135's required inner tubes- not 100% sure about that.

Those XZX, MXL and MXV tires from Michelin are/were great. I ran them on all of my previous VW's and Hondas.

I have XWX 15 inchers on my 246GT Dino and they have been great. There seem to be a lot more tires for 15 inch than 13 inch, sadly. :(

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

i'm a bit puzzled then

you have a 246 Dino with XWX 's ?

(very high cost to maintain!)

then i'm not clear on your original question

is it about availability? or just finding XAS's at

lower cost?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

The right tire on the right car (XWX's that is on a Din0 246gt) another bucket list car for me....but then I digress. It is great Michelin still makes these for classics (Ferrari, Porsche) and Pirelli is again producing the CN-36 in 15" for use on the 7/7 x 15 wheels (Porsche primarily).

www.alpinabmw2002.com

i'm a bit puzzled then

you have a 246 Dino with XWX 's ?

(very high cost to maintain!)

then i'm not clear on your original question

is it about availability? or just finding XAS's at

lower cost?

I have the X-AS on my 1970 BMW 2002 now; it is a very original car. They were expensive, >$250 each from Coker. I bought them this past summer.

IMHO, they are not entirely correct; I believe the 2002 should have XZX (or XZ) rather than the X-AS and I would def buy them if I has a source (well, maybe after the X-ASs wear out! ).

The Dino stuff was just an aside, not relevant to the conversation but someone brought up 15 inch choices. (Actually Coker used my Dino in one of there ads years back)

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

....Plenty of those smaller sizes available thru

references made in a number of places regarding to potential issues with attempting commercial importation of euro-spec tires that lack DOT certification (and the requsite identification data molded into the sidewalls).

I'd love to be able to set up a pipeline to bring smaller tires into the US, but if the importation issues are correct, it creates a real catch 22 situation - although buying & shipping small numbers of tires for "personal use" or "display only" might bypass DOT regs. it would undoubtedly be pretty expensive; on the other hand, bringing in a big enough quantity get bulk shipping rates would almost certainly run afoul of both US Customs and the DOT.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

....Plenty of those smaller sizes available thru

references made in a number of places regarding to potential issues with attempting commercial importation of euro-spec tires that lack DOT certification (and the requsite identification data molded into the sidewalls).

I'd love to be able to set up a pipeline to bring smaller tires into the US, but if the importation issues are correct, it creates a real catch 22 situation - although buying & shipping small numbers of tires for "personal use" or "display only" might bypass DOT regs. it would undoubtedly be pretty expensive; on the other hand, bringing in a big enough quantity get bulk shipping rates would almost certainly run afoul of both US Customs and the DOT.

Regulations.... don't get me started..... :):):)

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii