• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Source for grilles for a 72?

tiiCarrera

Hi there right now as far as I'm concerned they are on back order. When was the last time you checked?

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

side grilles. Early 72s had the "deep" grille--headlight surrounds are deeper than later ones and give the headlights an inset look. Headlight retainer rings are asymetrical. Later 72s and all 73s used the "shallow" grille--headlights are flush with the outer edge of the surround, and the retainer is symetrical. Check Realoem for the VIN changeover from deep to shallow.

BMW only supplies the early style; you have to find the later ones used. But if you''re not a stickler for authenticity, either grille will fit.

cheers

mike'

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

side grilles. Early 72s had the "deep" grille--headlight surrounds are deeper than later ones and give the headlights an inset look. Headlight retainer rings are asymetrical. Later 72s and all 73s used the "shallow" grille--headlights are flush with the outer edge of the surround, and the retainer is symetrical. Check Realoem for the VIN changeover from deep to shallow.

BMW only supplies the early style; you have to find the later ones used. But if you''re not a stickler for authenticity, either grille will fit.

cheers

mike'

Great info. Thanks Mike

1972 2002tii #2761642

1969 Mercedes 280SL Pagoda

side grilles. Early 72s....Later 72s and all 73s....

Do we know the cut-off/change over date?

My 72tii, (May 1972, #2761534, w/ plastic tubes) ~had~ the shallow grilles. I can't be 100% sure they were original as I got the car when it was 30 years old.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I don't necessarily need brand new ones.

I have Otis' old ones, just laying around. BLUNT sourced some new ones for me. Personally, I'd deal with BLUNT, or you can check out my old ones, to see if they'll do. Email me at davidbowen5828 at comcast dot net.

I don't necessarily need brand new ones.

I have Otis' old ones, just laying around. BLUNT sourced some new ones for me. Personally, I'd deal with BLUNT, or you can check out my old ones, to see if they'll do. Email me at davidbowen5828 at comcast dot net.

E-mail sent. Thanks

1972 2002tii #2761642

1969 Mercedes 280SL Pagoda