• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sticker shock - $3K for Golde Sunroof Cables

EcoAuto

This is probably old news to many of you, but I'm just catching up on Golde sunroof trivia. If I'd known this before taking my sunroof apart yesterday, I'd have been much more intimidated and respectful.

If you Google "Golde Sunroof," you'll find Larchmont Sunroof Company of New York. Their website boasts:

WE STOCK NOS GOLDE SUNROOF CABLES FROM 1967-2007. WE ALSO STOCK NOS SUNROOF SEALS, GLASS AND STEEL PANELS. WE WILL BEAT ANY PRICE!!!!

http://www.aslauto.com/

So I called. Woman answers. I ask about Golde cables. Without waiting to hear what car it's for, she quickly blurts "$3,000. I have just one set left."

Thankfully, repro cables for our 02s are available for about $100, but I hear they're prone to breaking. Anyone have experience with these new ones?

Clearly original Golde sunroof parts are scarce and getting scarcer. Is there a site anyone's found that has information about what other vehicles "our" Golde components are common to. Golde supplied sunroofs for 50's era T-Birds, VW Ghias and microbuses, Porsches, MBs and Volvos. Collectors are willing to pay thousands of dollars for original Golde components.

post-18606-13667645310287_thumb.jpeg

Ron Gompertz

Bozeman, MT
74 BMW 2002tii
Fjord # 037 / blue interior

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Ron,

I did some work recently on my sunroof cables; also read that the new stuff was prone to breaking. I found that the hardware that I was looking to replace (end unit that moves roof) is similar in 90s volkwagens. I scavenged around a junk yard and pulled stuff I needed from a Jetta. Perhaps someone else here can be more specific...

--Chris

'73 tii VIN 2764196, born 6/18/1973

'76 24 Hours of Lemons racer (Team Hurling Moss)

'75 911S

'72 VW Panel Bus

Couple of daily drivers

Agree Chris, that's the part of greatest concern to me, and will need replacing at some point. I'm wondering if that's also the part in the available repros that are prone to failure.... or if it's the cable itself that snaps.

Ron Gompertz

Bozeman, MT
74 BMW 2002tii
Fjord # 037 / blue interior

My recollection is that it is the clip on the end that breaks, as it is now plastic, where the old stuff was metal, and not the actual cable that has issues. I am away from home, otherwise I would go look at the parts that I collected from the Jetta to jar my memory.

--Chris>

'73 tii VIN 2764196, born 6/18/1973

'76 24 Hours of Lemons racer (Team Hurling Moss)

'75 911S

'72 VW Panel Bus

Couple of daily drivers

I've pulled cables out of a Volvo 240 and used them with great success in my 76. The ends are metal and quite robust. $10 at the pick and pull.

-Lloyd

"Sabine" 1976 Polaris / Navy - 12+ year Inop Ebay Find. Now with Microsquirt and Cold A/C. 

• 10 months later...

I think the issue is whether the cables are for an electric sunroof or manual. They are two completely different assemblies. Manual sunroof cables are the $100 ones from Pelican. If you are (un)lucky enough to have an electric sunroof in your 2002, they use the unobtanium cables - I believe they are a different length and have a different cast metal end fitting than the manual cables. If anyone has used the manual cables in an electric sunroof setup I'd like to hear about it.

R Heggen

74 tii Malaga

Alameda, CA

74 Malaga tii

Joel -

I may need at least (1) cable for my '69 and was going to ask about the cross-reference for "which Volvo 240" everyone refers to.

It would be nice if there was a listing of exact vehicles we could scour/pick/pull/order from for these items.

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I've pulled cables out of a Volvo 240 and used them with great success in my 76. The ends are metal and quite robust. $10 at the pick and pull.

-Lloyd

+1 here. I too used '80s Volvo 240 cables with zero issues paid $25 with shipping.

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit

06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd - garage queen *  73 Mustang Convertible 351C 

15 VW Touareg V6 Executive - daily driver * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...