• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fog light switch

mikea

when i took my instrument cluster out

I could see the fog light switch just looks like a dummy knob

with no switch behind it.

I want to eventually put on fog light in front.

is this the same switch part number as the headlight switch?

anyone have the correct part number, or a good place to buy?

mike-Berkeley

'74 2002

I used a fog light switch out of a 320i (fed by a relay).

It's just a simple 2 position on/off switch. You could probably use a rear window defrost switch off an '02 to turn the fogs on and off.

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

ya, not the same switch as headlamp switch. Simple make/break switch. It feels great to use the factory location instead of one in your console.

I see them on flebay quite frequently. Not sure of p/n.

Lots of fog lamp threads here to read.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

As Scott says, there is already provision for a fog light switch on the dash and the connector near the radiator is there ready to wire a relay to

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

As has been mentioned, I used aspare rear defrost switch feeding a relay.

Earl

aka Snakedriver

74 02Lux

02 M roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

There is a FAQ member who makes/supplies the correct switch, with green, yellow or purple buttons to choose from. I remember seeing the post...you'll have to search.

There is a factory connector near the battery to connect driving lights to so they turn on with the high beams and off with the low. Not sure if there is one for fogs to turn off with the high beams.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

There is a FAQ member who makes/supplies the correct switch, with green, yellow or purple buttons to choose from. I remember seeing the post...you'll have to search.

There is a factory connector near the battery to connect driving lights to so they turn on with the high beams and off with the low. Not sure if there is one for fogs to turn off with the high beams.

That is the one i used when I hooked up my driving lights they work great. When you hit the brights on the stalk the hi-beams and the driving lights come on real nice and bright.

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

As previously mentioned, a defroster switch will work.

Many moons ago I adorned my 76 with the 'then rare' purple fog switch. I installed a yellow fog switch from a 320i in my 72tii (see below) but basically you want any round switch that will fit in there with a 2way function.

I also wired a rear fog with a simple switch I bought from the local auto-zone type place that did not look too 'modern' for the car. It was small and subtle and almost period correct in design. (see pic below) I fed fresh wiring with a relay and I would recommend a cut-off switch tied to the ignition. Some people forget to turn them off sometimes and if not caught will eat your battery. yum yum. Night time would be obvious but daytime can get you - especially if you have fog light covers.

Front fogs & switch

may03-6.jpg

may03-dashin.jpg

Rear fog switch

apr03-rear-fog-switch.jpg

Rear fog light

may03-9.jpg

You running both front and a rear fog?? Since I run both, I wired up a std. headlight switch to that position. 1/2 on is rear fog only, full pull is both front and rear fogs.

YMMV

BD

I once had a conversation/proposition regarding this type of use with a head light switch. Glad to hear my suspicions were correct! Do you have a diagram as to which posts you used? Do you still get cut out of the front fogs with the low beams?

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002