• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When you buy a 2002 from someone far away....

KFunk

After consulting a local guy that's actually in the car shipping business, I found out that $1189 is way too high. I should be able to get $800 at least, especially for this small of a vehicle. On his recommendation I went to the movecars.com site and got a lot of quotes (still got the damn quotes a comin).

I ended up going with a very small broker compan, that's run almost completely by a very nice Indian guy that must never sleep. He had extraordinary reviews on transportreviews.com, though. He's extremely communicative and helpful, and it cost $870. Los Angeles, CA 90013 to Athens, OH 45701.

If all works out as well as it seems, then I'll write an awesome review for him and strongly recommend him to you guys.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

It may seem a poor comparison, but when I bought my '02, the p.o. shipped it personally, driving his F350 w/flatbed trailer. (from Athens, AL to Dayton, OH) $400. "Deal!" I said to him. No damages, right to my driveway as he'd promised.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

After consulting a local guy that's actually in the car shipping business, I found out that $1189 is way too high.

Los Angeles, CA 90013 to Athens, OH 45701.

Hmmmm, you say...

La to Athens= 2,346 mi.......$1189

Mine was:

San Diego = Essex, CT =3,023 mi.....$910

A difference of 723 mi. LESS, yet, $279 MORE. I don't recall gas prices back in 2000, but I assumed even with 700 less miles, the gas would make the difference , THEREFORE the increased price. With that criteria, I assumed $1189 was right around the correct price? i've been wrong before, so I maybe wrong again?

As far as movecars.com, many companies sub out their moves to smaller subcontracters.

BUS_CARDfaq.jpg

AKA: "Captain Obvious"

Drivers:

'72 '02

75 Opel Ascona

e21

2-e30's

2-e28's

15+ parts cars

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/fosters.3

I have to find a job in the mainland and move back......

Just last week I paid $1070 plus $800 in taxes to ship my E21 from Jacksonville, FL to the island. I still have to deal with registration, which is about $300 more.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

320 what?

;-p

Ray

Ok.... what is it?

;-p

Ray

OK OK, so I'm getting a 320 as well. :-)

320hp in a moped, man. I'm gonna take it over some sweet jumps.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Be sure to post on youtube!

;-)

320 what?

;-p

Ray

Ok.... what is it?

;-p

Ray

OK OK, so I'm getting a 320 as well. :-)

320hp in a moped, man. I'm gonna take it over some sweet jumps.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

After consulting a local guy that's actually in the car shipping business, I found out that $1189 is way too high. I should be able to get $800 at least, especially for this small of a vehicle. On his recommendation I went to the movecars.com site and got a lot of quotes (still got the damn quotes a comin).

I ended up going with a very small broker compan, that's run almost completely by a very nice Indian guy that must never sleep. He had extraordinary reviews on transportreviews.com, though. He's extremely communicative and helpful, and it cost $870. Los Angeles, CA 90013 to Athens, OH 45701.

If all works out as well as it seems, then I'll write an awesome review for him and strongly recommend him to you guys.

Please do update - I've got to move a tii from LA Calif. to Vero Beach FL next month.

73 2002 tii 2763480

08 Carrera S

09 528i

Yo --

I need to move mine from SoCal to N'awlin's next month. Let's keep in touch.

Cheers,

Ray

Please do update - I've got to move a tii from LA Calif. to Vero Beach FL next month.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the deal is done! Here it is, in off-topic:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,359314/

As for the shipping, really it is a very messy industry. There's gotta be thousands of 'broker companies,' that say they ship their car, but they all really just contract and sub-contract to any fool with a truck. Then they blame the sub-contractors if there's any problem. Pretty much all the companies have a few horrible reviews, enough to scare anyone away.

Anyways, after getting thoroughly frustrated, finally I got a call from Gilbert at Avenderle Transport after I asked for quotes from multiple companies on Movecars.com . He was very friendly and helpful. At first I almost hung up on him, got off the phone, and then I half-heartedly checked his reviews on transportreviews.com. Sure enough, he gets awesome reviews from everyone:

http://www.transportreviews.com/company/avenderle-transport.asp

I even checked to make sure that the people were real (and they were). I also questioned Gilbert on his legitimacy since he had such a new business. He referred me to his former employers reviews (5 Star Nationwide), and there were like 177 positive reviews that referred specifically to Gilbert and his helpfulness.

Well, Gilbert worked really hard to get my truck on a truck bound for Ohio. The guy must work all day every day, I don't know how he does it. But he was right there and honest and straightforward. The contractor he used wasn't quite as quick as I would've hoped (8 days instead of the 5 to 7 I expected), but oh well, that is the contractors fault and Gilbert can't help that they were the only ones travelling in the time range I needed.

In the end, I got my truck and I'm quite happy with it. I even got it shipped for $870 from LA to Ohio, when my bids on uship.com were around $1150 to $1200 still. That's a big savings.

So yeah, give Gilbert a call if you need to ship a vehicle. It looks like he even has his website up and running now. The guy even tried to print up some business cards for me for free. That guy just doesn't stop working.

http://www.avenderletransport.com/

(and I don't want to take any business from Bill Williams at all, who is also an excellent shipper I'm sure. But I suspect he charges a whole lot more since he deals with very high-end cars)

Bring a Welder