• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric cooling fan

dsiegel

Despite a clean, well flowing stock radiator, the temperature gauge on my 1969 1600 creeps up in hot weather while idling, sometimes uncomfortably close to the red. So, I'm considering putting a 12" "pusher" cooling fan in front of the radiator, behind the grill.

From searching the forum, I understand that folks take off the crank fan when putting in an electric fan, but I'm wondering about leaving the stock mechanical fan in place and just have the electric fan thermostatically come on when needed to supplement the existing fan.

Outside of the slight engine/horsepower performance compromise this might cause, is there any problem with having both fans in place?

Thanks.

David

I replaced my engine fan with a pusher electric fan. The instruction sheet that came with the new fan suggested that if you're using it as a pusher fan at all, that it's best to do exactly what you're thinking of and use it as a purely auxiliary cooling source.

don't wast time, money on adding stuff that your car

it didn't need when it was new.

do-

Ignition timing

a new thermostat

a recored original radiator

new 'tropic' fan blade - with fan shroud from 1976

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

i did that a long time ago. back when we were still in hawaii, no a/c car, side drafts and cam. triple cored radiator, took off the eng fan and only used an electric pusher. it dont work worth a crap. even with 71 deg stat, temps were well above midway. put the eng fan back on, temps dropped back to below mid way. if your ambient temps get above 85, you need the eng fan, or something pulling the air thru the radiator

Ken Inn

i did that a long time ago. back when we were still in hawaii, no a/c car, side drafts and cam. triple cored radiator, took off the eng fan and only used an electric pusher. it dont work worth a crap. even with 71 deg stat, temps were well above midway. put the eng fan back on, temps dropped back to below mid way. if your ambient temps get above 85, you need the eng fan, or something pulling the air thru the radiator

You did it wrong....I did the conversion and drove in 118 degree arizona desert. My temps didnt go above 1/3 up with the fan running. If done properly its an upgrade to the cooling system. Just because the car wasnt designed with it in the 60's doesnt mean we cant enhance the design with current technology. That being said in most cases its not needed...you have something wrong with the cooling system. Even with my elec fan, it really only comes on when idling for long periods of time, or its over 100 degrees outside. Oh and I am using the hottest T-Stat I can get.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

What degree thermostat do you recommend? I am in western NY so it doesn't get all that hot, but we have weeks during the summer into the 90's periodically. My bigger concern, I guess, is having good heat in the winter (although I don't drive the car when they start salting the roads).

Thanks.

What degree thermostat do you recommend? I am in western NY so it doesn't get all that hot, but we have weeks during the summer into the 90's periodically. My bigger concern, I guess, is having good heat in the winter (although I don't drive the car when they start salting the roads).

Thanks.

I use the stock 80 degree T Stat. That should allow your car to get warmer quicker and your heater to be more efficient. Also get a good fan over 1300 CFM.

I used this one, its 1360 CFM's....

http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=30102030

Massive makes brackets so this fan bolts in without drilling using the stock radiator mounting locations.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,344822/highlight,/sid,b0dc140bde2b800c007231618ac4a03e/

This makes it a pretty simple install...now just wire it....

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/68/32/

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

that your temperature creeps up while you're idling indicates you've got a radiator that needs a new core, based on my experience. while a pusher fan has benefits, you've got a root problem that will not go away. fix the core and your problem will probably go away. there are tons of us running fine without a pusher

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

Agreed....Solve your problem first. If you decide you want the electric fan then do the upgrade, but dont do it to fix your problem. There are benefits an electric fan provides, but you need a working cooling system to start with or you are only putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound and the cooling system is not something I'd take a chance with.

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

I run a 100% stock cooling system and it only gets close to half way during the summer when it's 100. Your rad or water pump may be worn out, water pumps usually dont wear out but always something to check. Also replace your T-stat, it's cheap and easy to do. But your best bet is to recore your radiator.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Replace water pump - cheap!

The impellers on these are subject to wear and corrosion (esp. after many years). The vanes corrode, become undersized, and reduce flow.

Your issue could just be one of the pump not providing sufficient flow.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Let know if you'd like to sell your old 4 blade fan...please email me. Or I will trade for a new 5 blade OEM BMW "tropic" fan..still has dealer sticker on it.