• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn signal blues

MrSharky

So.. just as an update if anyone cares... The turn signals are working just fine now. I did absolutely nothing that I can think of, but they are 100% now. And, of course, my new turn signal switch just arrived in the mail yesterday.

Oh, the cancelling still doesn't work - need to look that up. Not sure how to place the ring so it cancels properly... maybe when I go to fix that, it'll break the turn signals again.

Oh well.

Matt

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 1 month later...

Still stumped.

Okay, so Betty has been on the d/l for such a long time that I forgot about the turn signal problem. Here's where it is now - the quick recap:

NEW flasher button (in center console)

NEW Turn signal switch (brand new from BMW)

NEW (used) rear turn signal housings installed, with all new bulbs - all wiring checked & cleaned before install.

Turn signals do NOT work from switch.

Hazards DO work. - press the button, and all 4 go like crazy. All the time, every time. Can't get them to not work.

Horn works, wipers work.

I've gone through pretty much everything I can think of - just put all new bulbs in the gauge console too. Again - the flasher relay is the aftermarket one - I've double checked wiring on that several times. I've even now grounded the "spare" wire that is there.

What else? What can I look at? Need something before I pull out all of my hair...

thanks,

Matt

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

SiteNamecopy.jpg

How's the wiring coming off the turn signal switch? Is it possible you've got a faulty wire or bad connections somewhere?

Hey Dave -

Are you talking about where the switch plugs in? I did get in there, and all looks pretty solid, then goes into the wiring loom. Suppose I could get in there and take that apart and re-tip those connections.

Still bugs me that the 4 ways work, but the turn signals won't work.

Matt

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

SiteNamecopy.jpg

ACK!!!

I can't believe this!!! After going through everything again, I said.. okay, just for hahas.... just for kicks... let's take a look at the fuses again. Sure enough - #6 was blown. Replaced it, and sure enough, I've got blinkers again.

I swear... I promise... I had checked it before. Well... goes to show, you can't take anything for granted.

Chalk up another one for the KISS principle.

Happy Friday!!!

Matt

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 5 years later...
On July 27, 2011 at 8:45 PM, MrSharky said:

Still stumped.

Okay, so Betty has been on the d/l for such a long time that I forgot about the turn signal problem. Here's where it is now - the quick recap:

NEW flasher button (in center console)

NEW Turn signal switch (brand new from BMW)

NEW (used) rear turn signal housings installed, with all new bulbs - all wiring checked & cleaned before install.

Turn signals do NOT work from switch.

Hazards DO work. - press the button, and all 4 go like crazy. All the time, every time. Can't get them to not work.

Horn works, wipers work.

I've gone through pretty much everything I can think of - just put all new bulbs in the gauge console too. Again - the flasher relay is the aftermarket one - I've double checked wiring on that several times. I've even now grounded the "spare" wire that is there.

What else? What can I look at? Need something before I pull out all of my hair...

thanks,

Matt

Want to sell you old rear housings?

'

I need to rebuild mine and a spare set would be good have.. I don't like the design and want to modify them. I find the bulbs are never snug enough and they always loose connection after decent bumps in the road. Mine are pretty old.

I'm just starting this trouble shooting on my 02. So reading this thread has been helpful. Thanks everyone.

1. my hazards don't work. Jan 71 car with knob on dash ( looked at wiring underneath and it's a rusty mess)

2. my turn signals did work a week ago but not the indicators on the gauge cluster

3. Greenish "B" was illuminated on dash but I was cleaning contacts yesterday and now it's off.

will check/clean my grounds.....And quadruple check the fuse.   

Newbie Question:. Where are the grounds?

4 hours ago, Dionk said:

Newbie Question:. Where are the grounds?

The ground wires are typically brown.  Remove the screw holding the brown wire (or bundle of brown wires) and clean the metal surfaces well before reattaching. 

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I don't know if there is a one-stop grounds list, but searching "ground locations" turns up a number of threads that seem to collectively locate the important ones.

The front turn signals are grounded by the mounting screws. Getting good contact there seems to frequently help. There's  no one answer to this.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

So I cleaned a few grounds....no luck.  

Then I read this forums discussion article entitled "Refresing the'02 Flasher relay" by Mr Mike Self from Friday 30 September 2005.  See picture for what I found when I opened the relay. I think it's possible that it may be time for a new one....or new to me one.

this is a result of bad seals around the Windows letting water in.   New window seals being ordered as well.

What I found when I removed the relay was the the turn signal stalk was able to sending current to the selected side (in all but one light). This simple trouble shooting method (not sure if it's a good or bad one) allowed help me identify problem areas.

1. Hazards switch not work because of rust

2. Relay not working because of rust

3. Power not getting to my front right signal

image.jpeg

Edited by Dionk
Grammer