• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

high mileage 82 320is parts car value??

Baboon

What does the collective wisdom say the value is for a 82 320is parts car?

It has over 250,000 miles on the clock.

missing front seats, current owner does not know if it runs but was told by PO that it did. No explanation as to why it has been parked for the last 6 years or so.

I am interested in the car for the obvious reason... BMW 2002 conversion parts cow but the high mileage and unknown running status as far as the drive line is concerned especially the transmission worries me.

Any thoughts???? all input appreciated

In the past three years, I've snagged three Getrag 245 5-speeds out of 320is because the first two of them were bad. 250k is serious mileage. If you can't drive the car, you don't know if the trani is good or bad, so price your expectations as if it might well be bad.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Guest Anonymous

I'm thinking $300.00 for the whole car since it is a total crapshoot. If I could drive it before hand it would be a no brainer-

I think the owner wants 300-500 for it sound reasonable??

anyone?

Fair price, got a running rustbucket in CA 12 years ago for $200, wouldn't pass emissions, had to be cut up. Had, I think, 212k on it, trans is still going fine in my '02, but does leak a little. I got the rear brakes and other parts too. Anything not useable in a 2002 nobody wanted.

vince

If the taillights are good, there's a fair bit of the purchase price back...

and yeah, if you don't mind a bit of a gamble, it won't be a total loss.

But that trans and diff could be great, and they could be cores.

Ya just don't know without driving it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Not sure where you are at, but I have an 81 320 that runs and has new rear brakes and new alternator, 5 spd. I would sell for $400 in Ridgecrest CA 93555. tom at 02Again dot com ( and I think it has good break lights )

You can sell a LOT of the parts in that thing, I sold a 77 not long ago as parts. 300 is a good price

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Remember about the price of parts on that car.

As said before tail lamps and also recaros, sports steering wheel....

Those transmissions are pretty good I've seen a lot of high mileage cars with good ones.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

dependent on whether the lubricants were changed regularly on not - if you can get the car to run well enough to drive it a few miles, the key indicators are crunchy 1-2 gear synchros in the trans and bearing whine from the diff.

If the original diff is still in the car, it should be a 3.91 limited slip, which is worth saving even if the bearings are starting to make noise.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

1 St gear is usually rough on old trans. specially when cold I wouldn't bee too scared of that one. But as said before whines and grinding noises and other gear synchros failing would be a terrible sign.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all the feedback on the parts cow. I guess I will go over the falls and buy it unless I can pick up a known runner for 400. A sure thing is worth more to me than the 320is mystery machine. I'll see how it all plays out. I am using my 02 as a daily commuter so driveability and fuel mileage are more important than rocket ship speed. That said I will have to gather some info about the differences between the 320i and 320is gearboxes and which is better for my application. Hmmmm. Any insight?

Thanks for all the feedback on the parts cow. I guess I will go over the falls and buy it unless I can pick up a known runner for 400. A sure thing is worth more to me than the 320is mystery machine. I'll see how it all plays out. I am using my 02 as a daily commuter so driveability and fuel mileage are more important than rocket ship speed. That said I will have to gather some info about the differences between the 320i and 320is gearboxes and which is better for my application. Hmmmm. Any insight?

There's no difference between the 320i and 320is transmissions. Get it and the front half of the driveshaft for a conversion.

Email me about the diff at clay dot weiland at gmail dot com.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog