• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery tray position on engine bay. Pics?

Kpeters

Hey guys! Can anyone show me some pics of the location of the battery tray on the engine bay or maybe some measurements to know where should i weld mine?

Thanks!

Konrad.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

It was there I actually chopped off the cables and put it back in the front because I was loosing amps because of the cables. It wasn't the best setup as you can imagine.

I also want it to look original and just bought the damn thing so I have several reasons to do it now!

But thanks!

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E23 730 1978

Which battery tray are you installing? Tii or non-tii.

The tii tray has a big hole in the bottom so you can reach the alternator and fuel line bits underneath. The regular 02 tray does not have the hole.

I seem to recall that the tii trays are welded in at a slightly lower position than the 02's. The other trays get bolted in.

One of the keys on installing it will be clearance so the battery will squeeze into the space between the Brake master cylinder and the nose of the car.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

The car has a tii injection system BUT I think im throwing it away since it's no good and the car was not a tii originally.

The tray I got I don't recall it's coming this way I gotta get a look at it.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E23 730 1978

Which battery tray are you installing? Tii or non-tii.

The tii tray has a big hole in the bottom so you can reach the alternator and fuel line bits underneath. The regular 02 tray does not have the hole.

I seem to recall that the tii trays are welded in at a slightly lower position than the 02's. The other trays get bolted in.

One of the keys on installing it will be clearance so the battery will squeeze into the space between the Brake master cylinder and the nose of the car.

Reallly, my 76 had a tii tray welded into it? It definately had a purpose designed whole in the middle (along with a lot of rust holes). Huh, guess that would explain just why it was welded instead of bolted then.

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)

My 76 was a late 76 also. Build date was June 76 as I recall. It was somewhere almost in the last 500 02s built, but not quite. I keep running into stuff that is different from most cars, and it's always fun to see if it was a 'late 76' thing or something that was done to it later.

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)

I believe they changed from bolt in to weld in at some point. Maybe around 74?

So those parallel lines that are cut on the wheel well are for a bolt on battery tray?

My newness with 2002's is starting to show!

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E23 730 1978

and now sits on a shelf.

If you were losing current due to the battery in the trunk, I'd run a new cable vs. installing back in the engine compartment.

I love my battery in the trunk. Plus - it's so much easier to get to the oil filter.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

There are several advantages to mounting the battery in the trunk.

#1: It un-crowds the engine compartment.

#2: The battery is not subjected to engine heat.

#3: Better weight distribution.

If you decide to leave the battery in the trunk, here are some numbers.

The typical 2002 starter motor draws roughly 100 amps. If you run 10 feet of #1 (AWG) cable to the battery in the trunk, you will have voltage drop (along the cable) of .126 Volts. This is about 1% of the voltage available at the battery and will have no noticeable effect on your starters ability to crank the engine.

If you use #2 cable, the voltage drop will be increased by another 20%.

#1 copper cable is .000126 ohms per foot. #2 cable is .000159 ohms per foot.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.