• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine question about claim in ebay ad 300494375028

eastsidebimmer

OK, I'm lost--it sounds like he/she had a new 320i motor installed? The descriptions here sound very exotic....seller if you are on the FAQ, please fill us in. I wonder if this one just went kablamo and got a new shortblock when under warranty?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300494375028

So what makes this car special?

Well, in 1978 BMW offered a BRAND NEW (not rebuilt) Shortblock as a factory installed option, which this car recieved This increased the HP, and rev capacity due to a sturdier crank bearing design and wider coolant and oil galleys. Subsequently the engine has a rev capacity far higher than its counterpart. The engine has 7,500 Miles on it and turns over instantly. From the tranny back the car has 12,739 miles.

%21B6RucJQCWk%7E$%28KGrHqZ,%21hoEyrpzTU10BMw22pFsL%21%7E%7E_3.JPG

--> 1968 2002 <--

Yeah that set off my BS meter too. The car may have received a shortblock in 1978 but I have no idea about the increased rev limit, blah, blah, blah.

I am no expert on 3 series so maybe they did. I am sure someone on this board will know.

And if it got a 320 engine, did it get the 1.8L motor? That would rev higher but with less displacement would not produce substantially more power, if any. Then again, maybe it got a euro 320 2.0L motor.

When an eBay seller starts throwing random fuzz at you it is usually to distract you from what is really important.

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2

Can someone tell me what a Vintage Spec/Cup car is? Is the seller proposing that it should be a race car or that the engine is a race spec unit? I would think a race engine would have side drafts.

If it is straight and clean underneath as stated, this could be the basis for a nice car. Given the location and the rust on the top of the front shock mounts, I would definitely want to verify that in person.

And yes, the odo might read 12K but the car reads 112K.

Think about this for a moment:

"So what makes this car special?

Well, in 1978 BMW offered a BRAND NEW (not rebuilt) Shortblock as a factory installed option, which this car recieved."

If this is a MY 1976 2002, the factory could not have installed the engine in 1978. -Raine

What are they talking about?! Or who are they talking to rather..?!

1. Duh.

2. Better have the struts to go with it..

3. What?!

4. = broken parts.

5. --shorter than the stock log?!...RAM design?!?

Full Blistien Suspension with new aluminum strut retainers.

Getrag Transmission w/ Brand new clutch.

Brembo Tii Brake upgrade kit included including thicker hubs and bearings.

Been converted to a Weber DG/VC carb w/ wide jets.

MSD conversion which was done to give reliable power up to 8,500 RPM.

The stock header was replaced for a shorter ram design.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Please allow me to take a moment away from writing marketing literature to translate those for you:

Full Blistien Suspension with new aluminum strut retainers.

The Bilstein struts are so smooth we were able to attach them with lightweight aluminum bolts for ultimate performance.

Getrag Transmission w/ Brand new clutch.

This car includes the predecessor of modern dual clutch transmissions, the single clutch transmission.

Brembo Tii Brake upgrade kit included including thicker hubs and bearings.

All original Brembo tii parts, straight from Munich Italy.

Been converted to a Weber DG/VC carb w/ wide jets.

Wide jets, just like a 747. Planes are fast and this car is too.

MSD conversion which was done to give reliable power up to 8,500 RPM.

That would be reliable electrical spark power up to 8500rpm. That pesky mechanical power might peak just a wee bit sooner.

The stock header was replaced for a shorter ram design.

You know, RAM design. Because you will be ramming that exhaust out the manifold. Not to mention valvetrain components.

I rcv'd email from the seller. He copied & pasted verbage provided by the person he rcv'd the car from at an auction. He knows nothing about these cars. He said said if there were any bogus statements, to let him know and he'd remove them.

He's only 45 minutes from me, if anyone wants me to look at it. It appears to have plenty of potential.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg