• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not quite silver dollar Clusters

Harv

So the cluster that came with my car looked like this.

alpina_cocpit_02_70.jpg

I thought that my cluster was moded by the previous owner, and was a Silver dollar cluster.

1052941.jpg

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

reveals that a PO had painted the silver over with flat black...with a brush. Yours looks much more professional.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Here are pics of what I actually own.

This is the cluster that I have acquired at some point and I was under the impression that it was correct (other than the wrong glass over the tach) for my 69.

DSC_0048-1.jpg

Then I saw that picture above in the Alpina car with the black centers. I dug up my old cluster that the car had when I bought it (it was in and running at the time) and low and behold....

DSC_0051.jpg

So what is right for a 69? And if this was modded by someone a long time ago.... man they did a good job. Not really in keeping with the other "fixes" in the car back then.

And a few current pics of the project.

DSC_0056-1.jpg

DSC_0055-1.jpg

DSC_0047-1.jpg

DSC_0046-2.jpg

John

I'm tryin man, I'm tryin.

Every time I start to finish a project I end up having to stop, e-mail Blunt and then try to do something else.....

I'm getting closer tho... This week was a good step forward. Seats and carpet in. Electric system sorted out. I actually have brake lights, turn signals, and parking lights. Not to mention instrument cluster lights and Hazards!

Had to stop and e-mail Daniel Stern for headlights, relays, and such. So I'm now in the process of cleaning up the wiring.

What tape do I use to wrap the remaining harness in? I know hockey tape looks right but is sticky and gets dirty fast. Electric tape gets gooey. Any Ideas?

So what about the cluster? What is correct for a 69? Black dollars or Silver dollars?

Gave the lawn mower away.

John

Silver may be correct, but the black centers look great! looks like it would be tough to mask them off and not get overspray on the chrome rings..

Aside from that, the car looks awesome! so, how long has it been in the garage? you've gotta be itching to get it on the road! how much time do you spend in the drivers seat, staring at the back wall of the garage?

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Yea.... I'f I'm honest it's been 11 years. But the first 3 I just moved it around from place to place, Then at a shop for 2 or 3 years. It's hard when life gets in the way.

John

Silver may be correct, but the black centers look great! looks like it would be tough to mask them off and not get overspray on the chrome rings..

I think what they did was remove the silver discs because you can see the screws that hold the face to the speedo.

John

I'm tryin man, I'm tryin.

What tape do I use to wrap the remaining harness in? I know hockey tape looks right but is sticky and gets dirty fast. Electric tape gets gooey. Any Ideas?

So what about the cluster? What is correct for a 69? Black dollars or Silver dollars?

Gave the lawn mower away.

John

John - sorry. It was the whiskey talking.

For tape - I use something similar to what Bill Williams used when he re-did the harness on P2. I think he used the BMW OE fuzzy cloth tape. I use something more like velcro. I found it at ACE. Try that.

For gauges - I have a set from a 70 that I put in my car. Before I painted the centers body color, they were silver.

I'm crushed the lawn mower is gone. I didn't even get to say goodbye....

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.