• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To turbo flare or not?

uxoman

Just wanted to get some opinions on this. I am considering cutting up my clean M2 and putting turbo flares on it. I have already purchased the factory turbo kit and was planning on having this done over the winter. My car is a rust free car originally from Arizona and some of the local '02 guys around here think I'm crazy for cutting up a perfectly good body. Opinions welcomed.

If I knew how to set up a “poll” on this subject I would have.

Thanks Phil

Phil/Bomb Guy in Colorado

2002 E46M3

2002 E46 325 xi

1991 E30 325ix

1970 2002 M2

1966 Mustang

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Noooo'o, don't do it! Original good bodies are getting rarer every day while there's plenty of flared and other ways ruined ones.

Tommy

+1

In my humble opinion, Turbo flares look like an afterthought, which is actually pretty accurate. Aesthetically, they just don't look good to me. That being said, it's your car; do what you want. If you think that you'll see that much improvement in handling by adding and inch or two of offset and you don't mind chopping up your fenders to get it, go for it. It's really a choice of preserved aesthetics vs. added performance. For me, I'd leave the lines the way that the BMW designed them; the car handles really well already.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

+1 for the "its your car, do what you want camp." BMW put the turbo flares on their cars from the factory, so it is a period correct mod. BMW 2002's were raced back in the day with major bodywork changes. Check out a Gruppe 5 car. Given the M2 conversion, you are way into mod territory anyway. My question would be is it for looks or functionality? I run 205/50-15's on my car with no flares. That said, it is a lowered track car with 3° of negative camber in front, which helps clearance. I cut off the lips of the back fenders, but did not bow then out. I am now looking at running wider tires, so will have to flare. The body is in excellent shape, and I have no qualms about cutting into it. I did my own bare metal resto, and will do whatever I want with this car.

Best,

Fred '74tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Are there replacement panels still available to replace whatever you cut??? If not, you could easily save what you remove and offer them to any buyer of your car in the future. Any good body man could easily put that body back stock with the correct metal... Imagine what a restorer would do if those areas were rusted through???

That said, I've got a good cut-off wheel you can borrow!!!

ClockWise MotorSports

'69 '02 Rat Rod O=00=O

'62 Chevy C10 w/SS 327

'63 Datsun 1200 pickup

'71 Datsun 510 Race Car

'70 Datsun Roadster

'78 Kawasaki KZ650 Street Cafe project

2010 Subby Forester (grocery getter)

Just wanted to get some opinions on this. I am considering cutting up my clean M2 and putting turbo flares on it. I have already purchased the factory turbo kit and was planning on having this done over the winter. My car is a rust free car originally from Arizona and some of the local '02 guys around here think I'm crazy for cutting up a perfectly good body. Opinions welcomed.

If I knew how to set up a “poll” on this subject I would have.

Thanks Phil

Seems like you are stating all the reasons not to do it... I flared my tii and got the lovers and the haters.. Didn't matter, it was my build and i wanted to do what i really liked. In the end i have to be honest... As much as i loved the look, I hated driving it with the fatter tires. No power assist so turning that thing at a dead stop or slow roll was a work-out! Personally I like the M2's that look stock, a nice sleeper. Flare it and it will say "I'm fast"