• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

more from SoCal event...

akfjord

Others have already posted some great pics from the Socal Vintage event, but I figured it's never too late to see more;)

After owning this car for the past 19 years (first car out of college) I finally took the car on it's first road trip. It was a blast. Having just gone thru a major EFI conversion and engine swap (thanks to Sean Casey) I guess you could say this was the shake-down cruise. The car performed flawlessly. My fiance and I got a late start and didn't leave Berkeley Friday night till 7pm. So we decided to shoot down the 5, instead of taking the 101 or coastal route. Got caught in a rain storm for a couple hours along the way, but despite the rain, strong gusts of wind, and low visibility at times, the car never hesitated. Definitely glad that I had wired up some recently acquired cibie tango's the night before. They make all the difference in these situations. There's nothing like actually seeing the road.

Had a super time at the show. It was great to see all the cars, meet some new folks and catch up with others that have become friends. The first hour is always a bit overwhelming, with so many beautiful cars... where do you start? I really concentrated my time on the 02's and coupe's, despite the fact that there were so many other models present. At the end of the day I always regret having not had a chance to talk to more people... just too many beautiful cars distracting.

On the way back up the 101, we dropped-in on Rob Torres at 2002Haus. What a great guy. He was kind enough to take time out of his day, pass on some 02 knowledge, show me around the shop and give me a peek at his some of his latest projects; innovative design/fabrication pieces and a gorgeous 72' turkis tii that he's currently restoring. Lot's of cool, rare items neatly laid about, including an alpina A4 injection system which is going in a customer's touring.... nice.

Anyway, can't say how great it was to do this adventure in the 02, instead of my usual daily driver, a 10 year old Audi wagon. There's something about driving the 02, that just keeps me engaged. In the newer car, there are always at least a couple times during a 6 hour night driving stint where I find my eyes heavy, fighting sleep. Not so in the 02, between the purring motor, raspy exhaust sound, the direct feel of the steering... it just keeps you on point.

Below is a link to some pics from the event and also a few gratuitous pit stop photos that I couldn't resist along the way.

Hope you enjoy. Cheers, Alex

http://www.blinklab.com/ftp/SoCal_Vintage_2010/

post-16657-13667633016785_thumb.jpg

Hey Celk06...yeah the math is right. Mostly brought the 02 on day trips over the years. We usually do a couple road trips per year but end up bringing our wagon. Mainly because but it's so much easier to fit the dog, and all of our camping gear (most of which is unnecessary) in the trunk of the 02. If you're car camping, might as well be comfortable, right;)

But anyway, thanks for the encouragement (?!)

-Alex

Alex,

Absolutely spectacular photography. Really enjoyed them. Looks like you went up the 101 on the way home. Favorite part of my drive home to SB from LA is the part by the ocean.

BTW you car is beautiful, very well done.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Thanks guys.... glad you enjoyed the pics. Sometimes the overcast, cloudy skies create the perfect diffuse light source. Also, it helps to bring out the rich colors and enhance the body lines of the cars.

Steve, we actually left Sunday morning, planning to drive back up to SF via 101, but hit the rain about 20 mins north of Santa Barbara. So, decided to make a last minute adjustment, jumped off the freeway and headed back south;)

Why head into the rain when the sun was right behind us, right? We ended extending our trip an extra day, got a room at Indian springs hotel...They gave us a great rate (almost 50% off) since it was a Sunday. Always enjoy Santa Barbara, plenty the sun, El super-rica... if only I could figure out which way is West in that town, the sunset is always so darn evasive in SB;)

Alex