• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

* THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD, 2,715 miles Cali->Canada*

SantaBarbara02

My journey from Santa Barbara, California to Vancouver, British Columbia started on September 23rd with a drive past the Firestone Winery, through Pismo Beach and stopping in Paso Robles. What once appeared to be a "long drive with an old car", the first 100 miles was a breeze. From Paso Robles I took a very lonesome road 198 from King City off the 101. Then found the little highway 25 sign Hollister/Pinnacles. If you live in California and own a 2002 this road is among the most fun....a must drive. I've been promising Michael Dubois (DUBOIS) from Hollister a visit, so I surpised him at his body shop. Michael is among the most generous, gracious and friendly people I've ever met. He welcomed me into his shop, took me on a drive and offered me a chance to look through the parts bin.

Ending the first day in San Francisco (350 miles) I met up with some work friends and spent the night. The next day 570 miles, leaving San Fran @ 6 am driving over the Golden Gate, through the red woods, stopping in Arcata for lunch, driving through grants pass and making the long straight drive to Portland arriving @ 10 pm.

Stayed in Portland September 24th Friday night through September 26th Sunday morning. Left Sunday morning to meet up in Portland with David Combs (Chamonix72) from Seattle. David Combs decided to drive down from Seattle the day before for a bmw drive & meet. I convinced David to stay the night, have breakfast with me in Portland and caravan back to Seattle with me. We met at Cricket Cafe in Portland for breakfast...great by the way! Poor David's car started making a clinky noice just past battle grounds, WA. We pulled over at a gas station and decided it was just behind the tranny, with the rain coming down it wasnt worth it to jack up the car and fix the problem. We left Mr. Combs 02 and he hitched a ride with my little engine that could ;). Mr Combs and I met up with the Seattle 2002 crew & Midnight Motorsports which is owned by Patrick. Patrick is a young very knowledge guy, who is patient & beyond generous! A quick oil change and alternator adjustment :) . If you ever get to Seattle look him up. David Combs made me feel at home in Seattle, gave me a tour of all the auto parts stores in the greater seattle area lol, and introduced me to all of the Seattle 02 Crew.

The next day Michael Hall (gobi1) from Vancouver met me at the Canadian border with a very warm welcome. Again another generous kind spirit and a tremendous car enthuiasist. He treated me for lunch, took me to his ranch, introduced me to his wife, and showed me all of his toys. That night I met up with Scott Schneider (76Scott02) downtown Vancouver. Scott was kind enough to meet up on a late Monday night to talk 02's. He re-pops new VIN tags, which I needed.

A quick ferrry ride across to Victoria to meet up with an old high school friend and then I started to head south....from Port Angeles, through the Olympic National forest back into Portland for the night (Wed Sept 29th). By the way...NO CAR PROBLEMS 1,659 miles.

A much needed 1 day rest in Portland OR, then off to Crater Lake OR. I left at 6am on Friday Oct 1st. At about 6,000 ft elevation at the entrance gate to Crater Lake I started smelling a little more gas vapor then normal. Pushed the car 5 miles more to the top of the Crater. Stopped, took in the stunning view. Car won't start....hmmm....Car won't start.....called my buddy Scott Bourke (bourkeco). Scott talked me through it and we decided it was the fuel pump. Troubleshooting, I decided it might be a good idea to get the car down 1,000 ft in elevation. This 80 year old man, gave me a good push off crater lake...then I cruised it 3 miles down the hill. Pumped the fuel line with my hand, started right up and I drove it 100 miles to Klammath Falls.

Klammath Falls was hot as hell, especially hot in the autozone parking lot replacing a fuel pump which took me about 1 hour. Made it to Redding on friday night, then to Napa Valley Saturday Oct 2nd. Met with Anthony Bell who makes amazing wine which I happen to sell. Then drove down to Hollister to meet up with Michael Dubois again..to pick up some parts. Michael was a godsent, inviting me into his home...his wife & him had dinner ready when I arrived. They invited me to join them...good thing I stopped in Napa Valley and had a bunch of wine with me. Offering the guest room was a good idea after all that wine. In the morning he gave me a tour of Cienga Valley which in my opinion is a hidden wine gem of California.

Finally made it home Sunday Oct 3rd to clouds, fog and rain. Interestingly enough in 11 days...I had one morning of clouds & sprinkling (seattle of course)

Through this trip I've learned that it's more than just having a car to enjoy, it's all about the people that make it happen. Through a decision to live in Pasadena with a stranger Scott Bourke, I've made a friend for life and fell in love with 2002's. Then buying my first 2002, working on it countless weekends with Scott in Pasadena....through sweat, tears, blood, and getting yelled at a few times we prepared this car for the trip. If it werent for Scott, I wouldnt have bought this car or have met the wonderful people along the way....Michael Dubois, David Combs, Patrick & 02 Seattle Crew, Michael Hall, & Scott Schneider.

Thanks for the memories everyone!

Here are some pics...

post-18302-13667632199461_thumb.jpg

post-18302-13667632236331_thumb.jpg

post-18302-13667632239406_thumb.jpg

post-18302-13667632242349_thumb.jpg

post-18302-13667632245342_thumb.jpg

1972 Malaga 2002

Did a trip like that when we bought Vern on Ebay in May. Flew to Telluride, Colorado in June and drove 3100 trouble free miles to Brunswick, Maine via Colorado (crossing the continental divide 6 times), Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ontario, Quebec, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

A grand adventure with a great 1973 Tii.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Reminds me of the trip I made in 1994 for the World Cup. 2 days from Bend to LA. Went to the Argentina v. Romania match at the Rose Bowl on July 3. Got up early on July 4, drove from LA to Stanford for the USA v. Brazil match, then drove back to Bend after the game. Long day for me, long day for the US team.

She ran a little warm through the San Joaquin Valley (it was 110 outside) but that was it.

Great trip..."I knew you could, I knew you could" Glad you are back in SB. Are you leaving for Woodley park Sat AM...or going down early? Trying to get a SB caravan going.. So far, it is Tom Jones and I

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

One of these days....... I'm going to drive mine cross-country, using Route 66, north along the Calif. coastline, then back over the Rockies and across the plains. '02 people are great people.

P.S. Michael Dubois is a superb host & friend.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Great read, even greater trip! Thanks for stopping by on your way over the border, It was a pleasure to spend some time with you. Love the photos but how did you narrow them down to such a choice few? An inspirational journey that should remind all of us that '02 ownership is more than repairing, and upgrading but getting out on the open road and truly appreciating our classics! Well done! Mike.

75 2002a, 72 3.0CSA, 54 AH 100-4, 61 Bugeye, 64 AH 3000, 67 Airstream Overlander

Great Story!!

I can totally relate to the Fuel pump story. I drove to Bimmerfest 2010 from San Antonio, TX to Pasadena and then on to San Diego and La Jolla, CA for their local chapters Clean Car Contest. My Fuel pump went out the first night of my journey as soon as I turned into the parking slot at the Oak Tree Inn two hours outside of Roswell in Vaughn, NM. At approximately 9:30 PM.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,342595/highlight,/

I will never take another long trip without one or two extra Fuel pumps in my trunk.

Great Journey and Great Pics!

An Ernest Hemingway salute to you!!

1976 2002 (Grey Ghost)

2002 X5 3.0i Newly Added

2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5i

1976 Malaga 2002 (totaled by city bus)

1985 535i (totaled. Hit from behind)

1981 320i (trade-in. AC issues)

LIFE IS SHORT, TIME TO DRIVE.