• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone change their horn?

jrhone

Now that I have fixed my horn button, I realize that I HATE the sound of my horn. To me it sounds like Herbie the Love Bug. I want a more "European" sports car sound. Anyone upgrade their horn? If so what did you go to? Cost? Was it a simple swap? Air horns?

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Personally I've always loved the air horns. Loud if you hold the button but just a quick pop or two and nobody every get's pissed off..... Sounds kinda happy......

Cheers,

Patman in Tehachapi (where 60% of the population is legally armed all the time so politeness counts)

74 2002tii known as "The Pickle"

Not me. I'm going with train horns.

http://www.hornblasters.com/products/category.php?c=train-horn-kits-and-air-horn-kits#

Just trying to find a place for the compressor.

You think I'm joking? Check out "gallery" and "installs on cars" on the link. One guy did it on a Smart Car: http://www.hornblasters.com/installs/set/?ripcord_smartcar

Absolutely the Isetta is getting train horns; it's only natural that Otis have a set, also.

I went from the single bmw horn, to a set of dual tone Italian horns. (Not sure of brand) They're solid sounding and loud enough to grab attention. They're not as loud as I had hoped, but far better than stock.

This is one of two.

HornItalianNew.jpg

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

When I was living in Florida I met a guy that had a truck horn, one of the trumpet style you see on the roof. Damn thing could wake up the neighborhood! He said people had a tendency to look up expecting a tractor trailer rig. I wonder if that would pass our annual vehicle inspection?

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

I actually like my dual horns on the 73. They are much nicer than my OE "beep beep" horn on the Bug and the sound is recognizable by other '02 owners.

If anyone is really serious about using a SUPER loud air horn, then the package from a Mercedes-Benz 600 Limo is what you need. It has a huge "cachuga,cachuga" air compressor under the hood and either (1) or (2) trumpets that sound almost like a fog horn on a ship. One of the 600 Limos used to come in for regular service at a shop where I worked and we would scare everyone with the horn.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Would this work for an 02? Considering it heavily right now. Eff the neighbors, they play grindcore at 3AM. Like, really?

1972 2002 Malaga (soon to be Verona) daily driver/project.

Would this work for an 02? Considering it heavily right now. Eff the neighbors, they play grindcore at 3AM. Like, really?

Those are the same type from the e32 I picked up used for $12.00 on craigslist a while a go. Check the pic-a-part yards.