• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear suspension work on July 4th (updated 8/8/2010)

jgerock

ummmm- looks good!

But don't drive it aggressively like that!

Your rear roll stiffness is now higher (at least dynamically)

and it'll oversteer- perhaps significantly.

And I too wonder if HD's have internal stops-

the sports certainly do not, and I don't remember the

HD's having anything- but I don't remember checking, either...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two small suggestions....

I like to use and recommend heavy duty larger diameter washers at the bottom of the rear shocks... Sometimes the bushing separates from the shock body allowing the shock to slide off unless there is a washer there to stop it. Bilstein usually supplies these in their kits.

When you do the front I recommend a pair of fixed front camber plates. I like the steel ones that Robert in't Hout http://www.ridsfab.com/ makes for Ireland and others. Trust me, you'll like them.

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/product_detail.asp?RowID=26&CS=ireland&All=

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering about the shocks bouncing off the bottom stud (I've seen other shocks do this - even on VW's).

The Bilstein instructions included in the box are worthless. No diagrams showing how to install the top bushing and (2) washers. There is (1) large and (1) smaller cupped washer included in the parts bag. I installed the smaller one from below and the large one on top. No extra washers were included.

I recently received (2) new upper strut bearings from BLUNT in anticipation of doing the front end. Are the adjustable camber mounts required with a slight drop?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Not adjustable.... just fixed camber plates. They usually add 1/2 degree camber and a bit of caster. They help corner turn in with the added camber and caster they provide.... better steering feel.

My parent's Tii has had a set of older aluminum ones for decades.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

The HD's have an internal bump stop,,,,, !! take the stock ones out.... you can usualy pull them out through the springs eith a set of channellocks and a prybar and a jack.... if not when you go through a highspeed corner you are going to wonder WTF!! just happend and hopfully you wont be in the bushes wondering that......

Just sayin...

Scott B.

1969 2002, 1972 2002, 1967 1600, 2001 540It

The HD's have an internal bump stop,,,,, !! take the stock ones out.... you can usualy pull them out through the springs eith a set of channellocks and a prybar and a jack.... if not when you go through a highspeed corner you are going to wonder WTF!! just happend and hopfully you wont be in the bushes wondering that......

Just sayin...

Scott - the tii is back up on stands while I install a new fuel pump. I'll pull the old bump stops out tomorrow night. Thanks.

I searched the Bilstein website and viewed their application guide. It did not say whether or not the shocks had a bump stop.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jim,

Congrats on the suspension upgrades. I'm planning the same for my car in August. You'll have to let us know what you thing of the improvements. BTW, what bushings are you using?

Let me know if you need extra hands when you do the front.

Cheers,

Marc

Marshall,

That's my kind of back yard!

(All of your's are running cars, though.)

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

lol...the purple M2 can only loosely be called "running"....it could get somewhere under its own power, but it would not be pretty.

not show is the wife's 325it, running of course!

or the "2002 in a box"...a 76 in a million rust free separate parts stashed in an enclosed trailer "off yard".

2xM3

Marshall, your yard is ridiculous and I can't wait for the day that my yard has such a wonderful presence. What a great setup for that fine collection of metal! I'll look forward to helping out unless this brutal heat is still in effect then I might have to watch the World Cup final instead.

'73 2002

'00 M5