• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May get an S38!!! parting a built M10...

Burleigh

Well, Shupe and I are working on aquiring an '87 M5, of which the powerplant and drivetrain should surely find itself stuffed under the hood of the '69...

If this works out, I will likely be parting out the M10 that I have now. It is a fairly well built street motor. It has piano tops, ported head, 292 Shrick, Stahl headers, 45 webers, brand new timing chain and tensioner from Blunt, Pertronix in a no vacuum advance dizzy etc... It also has nice 5speed behind it with a bracket for mounting it in an 02.

If anyone is interested in these parts or anything else from the M10 please let me know. I am a little new to pricing some of these so fair offers would help.

Now on to the S38. What do you guys think on the swap and where would you start? I don't have the engine yet, so I haven't made any initial assessment of what I think on how to go about it, so any input would be great.

Thanks!

ClockWise MotorSports

'69 '02 Rat Rod O=00=O

'62 Chevy C10 w/SS 327

'63 Datsun 1200 pickup

'71 Datsun 510 Race Car

'70 Datsun Roadster

'78 Kawasaki KZ650 Street Cafe project

2010 Subby Forester (grocery getter)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO its too heavy of motor for an '02. I'd think you'd end up with a better balanced car with an S14 or a turbo-charged M10.

Yeah I kind of agree, but the sight of that beast under the hood and the fact that it is available is what's turning me on to it... Plus, I think it will always have more power potential than either of those two!

ClockWise MotorSports

'69 '02 Rat Rod O=00=O

'62 Chevy C10 w/SS 327

'63 Datsun 1200 pickup

'71 Datsun 510 Race Car

'70 Datsun Roadster

What Justin said.

And if it's really an '87 M5 that would probably make it a Euro car with an M88.

Have fun,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

IMHO its too heavy of motor for an '02. I'd think you'd end up with a better balanced car with an S14 or a turbo-charged M10.

Yeah I kind of agree, but the sight of that beast under the hood and the fact that it is available is what's turning me on to it... Plus, I think it will always have more power potential than either of those two!

you are soo right. There are a few S38 turbos that have reached 1000HP reliably.

I'd leave the 2002 as is and get a 325is for that motor swap or an e30 m3 shell from someone depending on your resources. The 325is may only set you back $2500. Be sure to get everything you can attached to the motor especially transmission, clutch, wiring harness, fuse box and electrical brains. Sell off the m20 motor and trans to fund your fun. You need one more car.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

Those are some great pics Nick!!! I think I would opt for cutting the firewall instead of the core support though... It looks like there is still room for the shifter to come back a bit more and that would bring some more of the engine weight back towards center.

I actually have a 325i shell, but it is in pretty bad shape plus it's a vert...

The thought crossed my mind to just build the M5, but I hear it's in pretty bad shape too... We'll see, but I am definately leaning towards the 02!

It's possible that the owner is just looking at the build date on the car and thinks it is an '87, but it is really an '88. I would be happy with an M88 too though!!!

ClockWise MotorSports

'69 '02 Rat Rod O=00=O

'62 Chevy C10 w/SS 327

'63 Datsun 1200 pickup

'71 Datsun 510 Race Car

'70 Datsun Roadster

I have a friend in Germany that has two M30 powered 02's ; what they lose in handling is made up with terror. If you're selling the Shrick 292, I'm interested. Good luck! Does the motor have the euro headers?

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

I'm sure you've seen the 02 with the swapped s54 twin turbo, but if you go through with this swap, I'd review it again... long story short, build yourself a transaxle to offset the weight. Won't be easy (easier since someone's already done it ;-) and I suspect it will be $$$$$, but man, it'd be sweet!

75 '02

78 M50 swapped E21

95 E34 touring

69 C10 Fleetside

69 Datsun SRL 311 (2012 project)

"Toil and learn or have deep pockets" - a smart guy

As much as I like these swapped projects, I guess I'll be the only one to say don't do it. Too heavy for a little car. Definitely too much power, maybe a positive. Not a lot of info if you get stuck along the way. $$$$ for all the fab, any upgrade or rebuild. Unless you have matching brakes and suspension, it's just going to feel like a supped up American muscle car, without any resale value. I think after the "Wow" factor wears off, you might realize that the car is not really that fun to drive. And the only thing lighter is your wallet.

I have an old European Car mag that had a 69 with a s38, I think. I'll dig it up and scan it for you. The guy was a fighter pilot and obviously like speed. Good luck in what you decide. Just have a master plan. Just my .02, which really is only worth .01.

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

As much as I like these swapped projects, I guess I'll be the only one to say don't do it. Too heavy for a little car. Definitely too much power, maybe a positive. Not a lot of info if you get stuck along the way. $$$$ for all the fab, any upgrade or rebuild. Unless you have matching brakes and suspension, it's just going to feel like a supped up American muscle car, without any resale value. I think after the "Wow" factor wears off, you might realize that the car is not really that fun to drive. And the only thing lighter is your wallet.

I have an old European Car mag that had a 69 with a s38, I think. I'll dig it up and scan it for you. The guy was a fighter pilot and obviously like speed. Good luck in what you decide. Just have a master plan. Just my .02, which really is only worth .01.

agree with you alll the way Ray - and that '69 is the car I posted pics of above.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg