• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bosch SR441X starter - wiring question *** SOLVED ***

I just installed an SR441X Bosch starter.

I have two smaller wires that connect to the solenoid, and the one large (+) lead from the battery. Until I tried starting it, and popped a fuse (twice), I learned the top spade connector is grounded, where on the original starter, it was 12V, and the bottom spade is 12V - not ground, so it's reversed from the original. (i'm not happy)

Now that I reversed the two wires, it's acting like dog poop. Wondering if I've damaged anything.

Anyone have any useful advice? I was surprised after doing several searches on wiring this, nobody mentioned they had to alter the wiring...

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Scott - I'm not completely sure, but it sounds like your car still has the resistance wire for the ignition circuit (looks like cheap speaker wire). Did you do a comparison between the terminals on the old starter solenoid to the new one?

Sorry for the troubles.

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Hi Jim,

I just did some more testing w/ the meter. On the original solenoid, the top spade was the trigger point, I believe, from the key. When I test the old unit, there is no continiuty bewteen that top spade and any others, and not to ground.

When I test the new unit, and I also have another Bosch starter that was too short, both test differently. The top spade and lower spade show continuity with ground, and with each other. (arrg)

The new starter now shows continuity between the main 12V+ (from battery) to ground, so I think that solenoid is blown now.

So on the old unit, the trigger from the key was connected to the top spade, and on these new units, should be on the bottom? Does this sound right?

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Scott,

Is the new starter the M3 one? If so, the trigger wire goes to the bottom male spade.

Yes, it is the new M3 type. I have a solenoid I can swap out, since I'm sure I blew this one. Thanks Bill, the seller couldn't tell me that. Here goes another 5 hours & a few more scraped knuckles...

SiteNamecopy.jpg

just got the solenoids swapped and starter back in place. Now I just have to make sure I know which wire is trigger, of the two I have.

1) I have 1 set of wires (terminated on 1 spade connector) that come straight from a relay on the firewall, diver's side

2) then I have a larger gauge set that comes out of an old black loom from down under.

Which is my trigger? I'm thinking the one off the firewall is, but want to make sure.

******SOLVED********

The two wires BROWN/BLACK that come up out of the black loom (from below the alternator area), and have their own black loom, and are terminated to a single spade connector. This connects to the lower connector on the solenoid.

IMG_6524.jpg

I figured it out by putting the test meter leads on the big battery + cable, (connected to solenoid - not battery) and other lead connected to the BLACK/BROW wires. Go tin the car & turned the key to start, and got continuity.

Fortunately, I didn't blow anything except the first solenoid, and being the parts pack-rat I am, I was able to pull one off the shelfed unit & put it on the new starter.

I love the sound & how fast this thing spins.

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I found that during starting on the original starter (SR71X) 1 terminal activates the solenoid and the other terminal supplies 12V directly to the points then goes to neutral once you release the ignition switch.

On the SR441X one terminal activates the solenoid and the other during starting provides 12V but once you release the the ignition switch the terminal goes to ground, the ignition system is grounded and the engine shuts off. For a while when you bought a Bosch SR71X starter Bosch was putting brand new SR441x starters in the box, but they appear to have stopped that and are rebuilding the original starters again.

Doug

I found that during starting on the original starter (SR71X) 1 terminal activates the solenoid and the other terminal supplies 12V directly to the points then goes to neutral once you release the ignition switch.

On the SR441X one terminal activates the solenoid and the other during starting provides 12V but once you release the the ignition switch the terminal goes to ground, the ignition system is grounded and the engine shuts off. For a while when you bought a Bosch SR71X starter Bosch was putting brand new SR441x starters in the box, but they appear to have stopped that and are rebuilding the original starters again.

Doug

that's interesting.

SiteNamecopy.jpg

• 11 years later...

So, How does one keep 12 volts going to the coil?  I have an SR441x that I just put in to replace a dying SR71.   Cranks like crazy, but i have no spark. I have black/red wire looking for a switched 12 volt source (so the coil will get 12 volts when ignition is on) but I'll be damned if i can figure out where to connect it

.  I have blue coil, no ballast/resistor, and pertronix.  Was running before I dismantled the car but I didn't take pics of the starter wiring before i took it apart.