• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to bring home a non running 2002A (finally got it)

autobon7

I have zero experiance using a dollie or a trailer and trying to avoid the high cost of a flat bed. What would you all recommend? I have a 95 Landcruiser that could pull it no problem. Will be about 42 miles. I'm sure a tow would cost a lot as well. Any input is certainly appreciated.

Morgan

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

Well, as an FJ60 owner, I must say that your 80 is too new to tow a 2002!

You'll have to use the 40.

With the auto, you'd have to disconnect the driveshaft. The BMW trans

only has a pump on the input (engine) side, and if it's not running, the

transmission can't lubricate itself. Unhooking the driveshaft isn't HARD...

no, I lie, it's a pain in the ass, because you have to remove it from the car,

and that involves unhooking the exhaust, the guibo (front drive donut)

and 4 bolts that are hidden very well up under the subframe.

For the money, I'd go to U-Haul and rent a flatbed. The $40 in extra cost

will be more than offset in the savings in swearing with the driveshaft.

Especially if you're not planning on pulling it for other reasons.

My take.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Well, as an FJ60 owner, I must say that your 80 is too new to tow a 2002!

You'll have to use the 40.

With the auto, you'd have to disconnect the driveshaft. The BMW trans

only has a pump on the input (engine) side, and if it's not running, the

transmission can't lubricate itself. Unhooking the driveshaft isn't HARD...

no, I lie, it's a pain in the ass, because you have to remove it from the car,

and that involves unhooking the exhaust, the guibo (front drive donut)

and 4 bolts that are hidden very well up under the subframe.

For the money, I'd go to U-Haul and rent a flatbed. The $40 in extra cost

will be more than offset in the savings in swearing with the driveshaft.

Especially if you're not planning on pulling it for other reasons.

My take.

t

Since it's non running how do you get it up the ramps? I'm assuming you are talking about renting a trailer. Would love to use the 40 but it's non running as well. Would make a great pic tho.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

Check Craigslist. I am in Los Angeles, so it might be easier to find flatbeds looking to pick up a couple bucks. I can get a flat rate tow for $50 on a flatbed.

I once towed my first parts car with a rope. We had to go 50 miles. The biggest problem was the brakes on the parts car weren't great. I wouldn't recommend that.

1968 BMW 1600 US VIN 1560713

manufactured on October 2nd, 1967

http://mybmw1600-2.blogspot.com/

Flat bediing a car 42 miles should not cost more than $200. If you rent a trailer, go out there, load it, tow it back with your vehicle, you will be out about the same amount not counting your time, wear and tear on your vehicle and the risk of something bad happening considering your lack of experience and the questionable abilty of your vehicle to pull the load.

In order to do this cheap, rent a dolly from U-haul, and tow your 2002 from the back. You will avoid having to disconnect the driveshaft. Towing a car backwards is tricky and can be prone to excessive sway because of the weight distribution. I would keep my speed under 50, maybe even 45 and you should be fine. That would also help your tow vehicle. Do not tow in overdrive if it's an automatic.

If you decide to use the dolly method, you may feel confident and stable enough at 45 and attempt to go faster. DON'T. When things go wrong while towing, they are difficult to recover especially if this is a new experience for you.

Best of luck.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Check Craigslist. I am in Los Angeles, so it might be easier to find flatbeds looking to pick up a couple bucks. I can get a flat rate tow for $50 on a flatbed.

I once towed my first parts car with a rope. We had to go 50 miles. The biggest problem was the brakes on the parts car weren't great. I wouldn't recommend that.

I checked CL last week and didn't see any ads (looking in both the general and auto services). When my FJ80 needed flat bedded a local tow company charged $125 to go 8 miles which I thought was rediculous but I have towing on my ins so I was reimbersed 100% The rope story gives me the willies. I bet that was the longest 50 miles you ever traveled.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

AAA is worth it (IMO).

I've gotten 2 tows in the past year (audi's blown oil seal and my vespa's points blew out), and they perform many DMV services to avoid those unfriendly DMV people and lines... and many travel discounts (car rentals, hotels, etc...).

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

i agree with Pierre

just look up local towing company,

call and ask for a rate using FLATBED,

AND GO WITH IT.

FAST, SAFE, NO INSURANCE ON YOUR PART-

WHEN YOU HAVE SOMETHING GO REALLY WRONG.

IT's DONE, CAR IS IN YOUR DRIVE WITH LEAST COST AND HASSLE.

Take an air pump-tank of air for inflating tires

to help moving the beast. The flatbed driver may have one

on board.

No Agro.

BMW700bodyshellsontruck.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

i agree with Pierre

just look up local towing company,

call and ask for a rate using FLATBED,

AND GO WITH IT.

FAST, SAFE, NO INSURANCE ON YOUR PART-

WHEN YOU HAVE SOMETHING GO REALLY WRONG.

IT's DONE, CAR IS IN YOUR DRIVE WITH LEAST COST AND HASSLE.

Take an air pump-tank of air for inflating tires

to help moving the beast. The flatbed driver may have one

on board.

No Agro.

BMW700bodyshellsontruck.jpg

Have gotten a couple quotes from local towing companies. 1st is $225 for a tow and $285 for a flatbed. 2nd is $235 for tow and $300 for flatbed. Looked on CL talked to a couple diff guys that had adds one is for $125 and really liked the guy the other was $100 and the guy was short/rude and didn't instill confidence. Guy one didn't know if he would be available when we are doing the deal. We will see

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

to Sacramento (about 250 miles) several years ago on a tow dolly behind my 65 El Camino (350, 700R4 od automatic) - kept the speed under 50, had zero problems.

If you decide to go this route, I'd suggest either unbolting the driveshaft at the diff or removing the half-shafts (for a distance as short as 40 miles, just the driveshaft should be fine as long as the rear wheel bearings, diff and CV joints are ok).

Before heading out, jack up both rear wheels, make sure they turn without drag or bearing noise/roughness and that the CV joints aren't noisy, make sure the rear tires are in decent shape and have adequate air pressure and the lug nuts are tight, and it wouldn't hurt to pull the fill plug on the diff and make sure the gear oil is up to level. If the diff or half-shafts are suspect, remove the half shafts and you're down to just the rear stub axles turning.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)