• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transforming a 2002 into a E36- The build

rot62

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice....you make a sub-frame swap look easy...it's not.

I put alot of thought into it. I used strings that ran the length of the E36 parallel to the floor. Then I measured up and at 90 deg to this reference line to locate all the mounting points. Then I had to use the same string line idea and apply it to the 2002, so I could be sure that I had the sub frames in the right places

Today I replace the hand brake for the E36 unit. Also sent some time inside the car cleaning up all the surface rust and applying rust kill. Started filling in the old bonnet mount holes and removed some rust from above the front indicators

the old 2002 hand brake mount

33p3el1.jpg

2zzpxy9.jpg

the new E36 handbrake installed and working

2mwxmdc.jpg

etxy4n.jpg

vfcif8.jpg

The heater fan has never worked since I've had this car. I removed the heater assembly to find the fan motor burnt out. I found an old window wiper motor that was of similar size under the bench. I then machined off the gearbox and connected the old fan blade to it. It works well.

2upco5h.jpg

ivxzdl.jpg

wukzt5.jpg

The disassembled heater in my parts washer- just an old dishwasher really

2mrzez5.jpg