• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who makes/sells mounts for driving lights?

ClayW

Apologies to Pierre, et al. but the brackets that mount on the nose uprights jiggle like shit. I put them on my 72 and my Hellas will give you an epileptic fit.Look really cool but suck. On my 73, I used the clamp on brackets that Tilux sells. They work.

Fritz Bimmer

72 Golf

73 Chamonix

66 P car

I have both types - Pierre's, which are patterned after factory brackets, and the ones that Tilux sells, which clamp onto the bumpers or bumper brackets. They each have their advantages and disadvantages IMO. With Pierre's, you can buy inexpensive stabilizers from rallylights.com which are made to help buffer the jiggling. Pierre's go through the side grills and attach through factory holes provided for that purpose. The clamp style brackets lack the super clean look that the other syle provides, but are very stable on their own.

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Clay,

You can also mount fog/driving lights on the lamp bar pictured in the Macartney restoration book. Horst (73) and Bill W's (72tii touring) both have the lamp bar, which mounts on the front bumper overriders (e.g., so it won't work for 74-76 or earlier models without front overriders). The bar is made in stainless steel (early versions I think were chrome) and keeps your lights very steady. You can get pricing info from www.jaymic.com.

-Marc

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst

I appreciate the feedback. The info helps me improve the product.

The feedback I have received so far seem to indicate that the "giggle effect" can range from non-existent to severe. After further probing and inquiring, there seem to be 2 major contributors to the problem.

1. The weight of the lamp. Heavier lamps seem to be more prone to vibrations.

2. The car set up. Cars with cams, stiff suspensions, urethane motor mounts, rough idle, or worn motor and tranny mounts would transfer engine or body vibrations to the lamps.

I am experimenting with different materials and different thicknesses. The most effective fix for those cars that suffer the "giggles" is the brace that attaches to the top back of the light and stabilizes the lamp. The fact that such a kit is readily available is evidence that the "giggles" is widespred issue with auxilliary lamps.

I appreciate and welcome any suggestions, recommendations and ideas you throw my way. I hope to improve the brackets I make to solve this problem on all car. I may alternatively offer a stabilizing kit with the bracket as an option.

I do have an original bracket set from BMW. They are no better than the ones I make out of aluminum as far as dealing with the giggle issue.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

The feedback I have received so far seem to indicate that the "giggle effect" can range from non-existent to severe. After further probing and inquiring, there seem to be 2 major contributors to the problem.

2. The car set up. Cars with cams, stiff suspensions, urethane motor mounts, rough idle, or worn motor and tranny mounts would transfer engine or body vibrations to the lamps.

I am experimenting with different materials and different thicknesses. The most effective fix for those cars that suffer the "giggles" is the brace that attaches to the top back of the light and stabilizes the lamp. The fact that such a kit is readily available is evidence that the "giggles" is widespred issue with auxilliary lamps.

I appreciate and welcome any suggestions, recommendations and ideas you throw my way. I hope to improve the brackets I make to solve this problem on all car. I may alternatively offer a stabilizing kit with the bracket as an option.

I do have an original bracket set from BMW. They are no better than the ones I make out of aluminum as far as dealing with the giggle issue.

I'm thinking that you could triangulate the bracket.

Suggestions:

1. heat and press in a "V" in the ridge of the bracket's bend. See below:

L%20bracket%205%20x3.jpg

2. Weld in a triangular wedge instead of pressing in a "V".

Alos, I'm sure that you could sell them in mild steall or stainless.....both of which are easier to weld than aluminum.

What do you want for the BMW set?

Email me through the FAQ.

Thanks!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

My experience is that with the stiffer sport suspension on the car, the jiggles are more severe. When I had HD's, it wasn't nearly as bad. To me, this is to be expected considering what these lights weigh. I'm running the units Pierre sells, but I don't tend to actually turn my driving/fog lights on unless I'm really in need of the extra light. Rare for me. Factors for me seem to be;

a) suspension

B) road conditions

The smoother the ride/road, the smoother the ride, the smoother the lights.

IMG_1043.sized.jpg

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

I'm thinking that you could triangulate the bracket.

Suggestions:

1. heat and press in a "V" in the ridge of the bracket's bend. See below:

L%20bracket%205%20x3.jpg

2. Weld in a triangular wedge instead of pressing in a "V".

Alos, I'm sure that you could sell them in mild steall or stainless.....both of which are easier to weld than aluminum.

What do you want for the BMW set?

Email me through the FAQ.

Thanks!

I am not selling the originals. That's what I use as a template. Sorry.

Thank you for the suggestion regarding triangulation.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Possibly add a spot/hole/tab for the light stabilizers to mount to on the top of the bracket. With the light and stabilizer installed on the bracket, the whole contraption becomes a square.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes