• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here using an Oil Filter magnet? Here's a tip...

02for2

There are lots of Oil Filter magnets of one type or the other on the market, ranging from a disposable type ceramic magnet (you drop it inside the center channel of the spin-on filter where it sticks to the internals, then you throw it and the filter away) to the wrap-around and end-cap types. Their cost ranges from $1 (disposable type) to more than $60 for the end-cap type.

A filter magnet is a good thing... paying $60 for one isn't.

I use a rare earth magnetic disc measuring 1"x 0.125" . It attaches to the outside of the filter cannister. It has a Pull Force of 10.69lb (4849g), so once attached, it's not going anywhere and it is stronger than any of the other products out there so is sure to do as good, if not better, a job.

When it's time to change the oil, just pull off the magnet and attach it to the next filter. Best of all, they come in a 4-pak for $9.99.

I have been using them on all our cars for about 4 yrs and once cut the filter cannister open to see what the magnet actually captured - no chunks (thank God) but lots of ferrous goo, so I know it did it's job well.

See them here - Rare Earth Magnets

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Following Mike Self's tip I bought four small examples of these magnets and put them inside the oil drain plugs. They are so strong they aren't going anywhere once they're in there, and they do catch lots of small slivers of metal.

Bob Napier

Bob,

what examples are you referring to? please post a link. Thanks

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

BigDog-

I'm in Sammamish too, sahalee.

I've only seen a lite blue late model '02 from Timberline, a black 2800cs from Timberline and a grey NeuKlasse driving around the area, and there's the blue Bav by the roundabout on Inglewood hill.

Where are you? whuddya got for 2002?

We should get together sometime.

I've got some odds n ends parts from my old roundie if you need anything.

-Steve

Too many cars, too small of a barn!

(several 2002's, e3's, e9's & e24's and an NK sedan in the past)

How is it possible I haven't seen your car in the neighborhood????

I'm 5 houses down from the clubhouse turn on the right!

They grey NK you see driving around belongs to Tim (I think that's his name, talked to him a few times). Usually catch him down at the shell station on E.Lake PKWY and 202.

I haven't talked to Bavaria guy down by the roundabout, he seems to have been pretty inactive lately.

My car is currently undergoing paint to finally take care of the shot paint on the top 1/2 of the car, shooting it this afternoon.

You've probably seen/heard my car around the neighborhood, but it's been having issues over the last several months, and the Harley has taken up too much of my fun driving time. Usually I"m either on the bike or in the big blue dodge.

Shoot me an e-mail and let's get together some time soon.

BD

'76 2002 Anthracite Grey Metallic (I hope!)

Armond - I don't have a link to post because it was a personal email to me over a year ago, and it's been long since deleted. The three I bought are 9mm x 7mm x 5mm. I don't even have anything on the company I got them from, but the link above should have the same items.

Sorry I don't have more info, but just wanted to pass on that they work great.

Bob Napier

Maybe Mike S. will chime-in with the source I used. These puppies are really strong. When the four came I didn't think I'd be able to break them apart - they were just really attracted to one another.

Armond - I don't have a link to post because it was a personal email to me over a year ago, and it's been long since deleted. The three I bought are 9mm x 7mm x 5mm. I don't even have anything on the company I got them from, but the link above should have the same items.

Sorry I don't have more info, but just wanted to pass on that they work great.

Bob Napier

thanks Bob.I have a sensor drilled through my oil pan drain nut and I would like to use the oil filter magnet approach. thanks for the idea guys.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

.....that's a good thang?

and magnet diff & trans drain plugs are good also

order them at your BMW dealer today!

CD-

Do you have part nos? I checked with Steve P. and the bmw drain plugs don't specify metallurgy.

Thanks,

Marc

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst

.....it's been a while - one of 3 numbers may

get you the magnet plug?

try:

for gear box

07.11.9.919.069 M24x1.5 (ext. hex)

23.11.1.200.608 M24x1.5 (ext. hex)

23.11.1.202.717 M24x1.5 (internal hex)

for the diff it a M22x1.5 plug -

I've forgotten which has the magnet,