• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you keep going on a project?

Mpower5266

My current project is a 12 year (maybe more?) actively worked on off the roard 2002 that is still not done. For several years I have only worked on one weekend day and not every weekend plus to do this I drive 1.5 hours each way to see the car. It can be frustrating if you think about it.

I keep doing it because I still get excited thinking about different aspects of the car/mods/finish. I do think about driving it, a lot more lately and how it would have been a lot cheaper to have bought someone elses finished car and I would have had 12 years of driving it (this usually happens when I start thinking about the costs). But I still get a charge thinking about what is next and the carrot of being done. Plus there is not too much more now (at least that is what i keep telling myself! Ohh to have more money and time ;)

Set goals for the project, finish XXX by this month, move on to XXX etc.

If you look at the project in smaller chunks and try and finish them by the goal you set, it won't seem like such a daunting pit of work.

I haven't completed a restoration, but i'm working on a heart transplant in my 66' Cortina and so far the goal thing is working for me. Like you, I unearth more things I need to fab up or buy, but i'm marching towards my March test run date on the engine (in a stand) and have been doing pretty well.

Hopefully it works for the rest of the project! I've got a good 2 years before kids.......which I figure is when time to work on it becomes NIL!

Good luck!

Bryan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

I hit my wall last year. I am doing a rolling rejuvenation as well and I was just sick of wrenching on things and noticing the warts. I'd go to work on a motor problem and see a new bubble, or fix a tranny mount and see a new leak... It definitely got overwhelming and I was actually driving the car!

I got my inspiration late last year from a slot car after the car was parked for winter. I've attacked the cosmetic issues and am replicating a rally car. It will be something different. She won't be perfect (never will), but she won't be just another white '73, either. That's given me the motivation to plow through and get back on the road!

~Rob

'73 2002 Warmbold Rally Car Imitator

'89 325i Time Capsule

I guess I'm the opposite from many folks here, in that I will readily take extended breaks from my projects. I find that, while I'm pretty damn ADD, my interests cycle through a regular pattern. So if I lose steam on a resto project, I'll leave it to sit in the shop for a few weeks, months, or even a year or two, until I feel re-energized by the thought of investing some more cash, blood, sweat and skint knuckles.

This also keeps the dreaded man-rage at bay, which always seems to come up if I keep at something longer than I should. Always remember: you're doing this for fun and relaxation (unless you're a shop)... there's no reason a project MUST be done by a certain date (unless you're getting married in the thing).

Woah thanks for all the great answers guys. Last night I hit my first wall on the car while trying to fix some rust in the trunk. For some reason I couldnt get the welds to hold on a patch I made. Earlier today I changed my plan of attack and made it work. Hopefully I can get the spare well welded in this weekend and then Ill be done with welding for a while. Thanks again guys.

Message me for 2002 Koozies!!!

Print a nice color picture, of decent size, and tape it to the car. So every time you work on it, or walk by it your reminded of the end result.

I have a picture of a nice inka o2 stuck on mine....and THAT works for me.

1970 2002 - 2.5L S14

1988 M3 - 3.8L S38

2011 VW GTi - 2.0t

One of the things that keeps me sane when I'm doing my projects is that I am really not under any time pressure. While I would like things done (and want things done) - they don't need to be done today. Especially if I'm struggling. When I was doing the exhaust header, I think it took me a week. But only because, when I got really frustrated, I could put the tools down and walk away.

Small bites is a great plan, but as you probably notice, projects snowball. On my other project (72 mini cooper), I was going to just replace the clutch and brake master cylinders. That turned into re-doing the entire hydraulic system on the car, the rear drums and shoes, front rotors and pads, re-building calipers, new booster, all new brake lines (hard lines and flexible lines), etc...

Part of the problem with working on a 35+year old car is that projects will snowball. But - remember - part of the fun is the doing. It's not the destination, but the journey.

Later,

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Sometimes, all you need is to visit a friend who is undergoing their own project (or multiple ones!) to get encouraged. Even better, get them involved to help you (and try to return the favor).

64161631.jpg

043fcc5c.jpg

Another way to get encouraged is to drive someone's car to help get you back on track. The smell of fuel, the sound of a carburetor (or duals) sucking air and the feel of a good shifter may just do it. Of course, it helps if you sort of know what you are doing. I've done many firsts with cars and have learned from my mistakes and moved on. As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day. Enjoy working on and driving these wonderful cars.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"