• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

first 2002 first time ripped off :) need a little help

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Wanted one of these since the 70's Today I drove to the tiniest little town in Alabama and traded my working 90s 4runner for one. Wow was I excited. By the time I got back to my city with it and to my mechanic he tells me all the great news. He told me to find an engine rebuild kit and calipers. Park it because it's a fire hazard (shooting oil from the breather hose from the top of the engine) Then while there the once tight shifting wouldn't allow me to even go into first gear. I think I might have been duped! Anyway I can only have a laugh now as the guy I got it from curiously phone disconnected. Doesn't matter I am and have been in love with these cars. I was just hoping to have a daily driver while I restored it. So here is where I am hoping all of you wonderful people can help me out. Any and all advice! I need to purchase an engine rebuild kit and brake calipers and on and on etc. etc.

Thank you all in advance.

The body is in pretty good shape with no major rust

Btw it's a 76

Hey Jamric, welcome to the FAQ.

First thing you gotta do is fill out your profile so we know silly things like where you are and how to reach you. Most would like to know a little more about your o2 so a vin posted would resolve all of that angst.

Next describe more fully what your car's symptoms are. I mean get detailed, and somebody here will have some good advice. Be nice to know if the mechanic is familiar with o2s or just starting out like you.

I too have loved these cars since the 70s and happened across one last spring. Not a show car but really well cared for all of its life, and I have the records to prove it. Since then I acqired two more. LOL

These are a very strong breed and if you were able to drive it any distance home you are probably OK. Parts are very reasonable and they are super easy to wrench on.

Again, welcome.

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

Yeah, we need details and photos. There are a lot of good people on here that will help you out. I wouldn't be surprised if someone near you had a decent used engine you could drop in for cheap.

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness

The body is in pretty good shape with no major rust

Btw it's a 76

Welcome, my instinct tells me that you did ok, and the problems are not as bad as described by your mechanic, given the fact that you drove it home. Oil leaks, can be fixed, good 4 sp trannies are usually sold for aluminum around here, and the engine, well like I said, it made it home, so it can't be all that bad.

You will be smiling in a couple months for sure.

FAQ Member # 91

Hey jamric,

Welcome, sorry to hear about your problems. You found the right place to get advice, there are a lot of good people here with a lot of experience with these cars.

So the seller is from a tiny little town in Alabama & his phone is disconnected. I'll bet his house has wheels on it & if you go back it won't be there!

Don't worry, things will get better. Don't let the problems get in the way of enjoying your 02!

Good Luck!

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

1) There's tons of expertise on this board--we haven't found a problem yet that collectively we couldn't solve (except for my idle problem... ;-)

2) You didn't mention rust; if it's a southern car you've jumped over the worst fix-it problem on a 2002--serious structural rust.

3) Much of the distress you describe in your post is reasonably easy to fix--mechanical problems are much easier to repair than serious rust.

So...which would you rather have: a mid 90s Toyopet or an '02? I thought so!

cheers and welcome

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

B'ham! Email me and we'll talk.

One thing you gotta kno, Stephens Garage in Avondale is about the best 02 shop in the area.

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

........ (shooting oil from the breather hose from the top of the engine)

Breather hose disconnected, cracked, or ??? If the hose is intact and still connected to the air cleaner and there's oil collecting inside the air cleaner, it sounds like you may have a problem with excessive crankcase pressure. The most common cause is "blowby" (compression pressure leaking past the rings) so you may want to start by running a compression test. If the rings are shot, you should also see a fair amount of oil smoke on over-run as well.

Then while there the once tight shifting wouldn't allow me to even go into first gear.

Odds are that one or more of the bushings/mounts that isolate the shift linkage from the trans have failed. There are three mounts that bolt to the back of the trans (2 at the top and a diagonal brace) that both mount the shift linkage platform and function as vibration isolators - the rubber parts of the mounts commonly turn to goo over years of exposure to heat and oil. Replacement is usually a messy job (gotta work through years of oil leakage residue), but the parts aren't expensive, and it can be done with hand tools without removing any major components.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

To be honest you car looks better then mine when I got it... Now its time to get wrenching. A large majority of repairs on a 2002 can be done by a beginner and there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this forum that will help out as long as you provide in depth details about the problem... Pics help out a lot too.

Here is a link to the transmission shifter mount bushings mentioned earlier. pretty easy but messy job.

Just noticed that the link below incorrectly say 1 per car! You will need 2.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=wyrzf0v4x0ehzv2lps0n4n55&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1010822@2002&year=1976&cid=33@Transmission/Transaxle%20System&gid=11084@Shift%20Tower%20Mount

For the oil issue I would start with an oil change and try running 20W 50 oil and use a good mahle brand oil filter. In the meantime I would either reconnect the oil breather or place the hose into a catch can to collect the vaporized oil and get a feel for how much is actually coming out.

Here is a post mentioning a similar problem:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,326898/highlight,catch/

Good Luck!

KC

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

Whoa, Jamric! Where is your air filter? Has that breather tube been connected to anythnig or just blowing oil all over your engine compartment?

One of the most telling photos is the first one. If we are to assume that the paint is original in the trunk, you are in good shape there. Trouble is you are going to need to do something quick with the rust under your rear window.

Rest of the car looks great! You have a lot of work to do but a lot to work with. Take it slow, work on the mechanical issues first, and you'll have first-class, unique transprotation in a jiffy. Way better than that souless Japanese car you traded for it.

Where did you find the o2?

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)