• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed coversion woes

ceylove

With 400 miles on my 76 w/5-sp conversion, lost guibo bolt on the road. While replacing it, new bolt, lock nut, lockitie 242, etc, noticed guibo being shaved down at that bolt hole, with metal core beginning to show through. You can clearly see with a single rotation of the shaft, the guibo contacts the bottom of the shift rod and it's hardware. I guess the shop who did the conversion somehow missed this.? See photos. Any suggestions before I'm ground down to the bolt?

post-16993-13667619186195_thumb.jpg

post-16993-13667619187387_thumb.jpg

Ceylon-squarie

It's hard for me to think that this is a driveshaft alignment issue... I'm wondering if the shop used the correct guibo. All of the 5-speed conversions I've done have employed the four-bolt transmission output flange, a four-bolt flange on the end of the driveshaft and a four-bolt guibo. With the four-bolt, even a driveshaft that's out of alignment never came close to twisting the guibo enough to put it into the shift lever.

Anyone else?

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I'm using the original 3-bolt output coupling that came with my '81 5-speed and a new 6-hole guibo (from a local BMW dealership) in my current conversion and the shift rod is indeed very close to the guibo. I haven't installed a driveshaft yet, but will ensure everything is aligned before the first drive.

pics172010013.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

i agree with the hack mechanic. i dont believe thats an alignment issue. there are slight variations in guibo diameters depending on manufacturer and there is no room to spare up there

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Is it hitting all 6 bolt 'bulges' equally?

If you lost a bolt, the guibo would be free to expand a bit-

and yes, with an early linkage and 3- bolt flange, there's not

nuch free space (Jenn's car is set up this way)

But there should be enough.

I too agree- it's not an alignment issue.

You really shouldn't be losing bolts from there.

Sadly,

that's all I gots.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Are you certain that your selector rod isn't bent slightly downward? That would suck. I had one cheap 5-speed of unknown origin where this was the case (you could see the rod was bent because of how it protruded out from the oil seal; there was a gap at the top of the seal) and I tried to bend it back up. When I put the trani in the car, it intermittently locked up... very bad... don't know if my trying to straighten it was the cause of the problem or not.

But TobyB has a good point, that the bulge in that part of the guibo may have been caused by the loose bolt. Maybe you should just put in a brand new guibo, locktite and torque the nuts down, and see where you are.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Ensure your shift platform is tight against the transmission tunnel. I drill a hole in the top of the tunnel, just behind the hole for the shifter, and catch the the shift platform. Draw it up tight - it may give the clearance you need if the other thoughts above do not work.

I use this method rather than the stock support bar. That stock support bar gets in the way working on things.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Thanks All and I think TobyB has pegged it-I drove about 10-15 minutes with the bolt out-enough to get home and swap cars. The noise and vibration driving it minus one bolt was BAD. Probably enough to distort the guibo where it was no longer attached. There was only contact in that spot. I'll put some paint on the grazed spot and check it after driving. I suspect now that the bolt's been replaced it's not longer hitting the shaft. You guys are awesome! Again, Thanks!

Ceylon-squarie

Hi Larry-yes the shifter feel solid, but I agree, the support doesn't look like other set ups I've seen. Also the shop that did the conversion left the shifter shaft too long so the gear shift and shift pattern it tilted too forward. They installed, (without my request) a short shift kit, which is fine, but the angle of shift pattern bugs me. I'll take it apart, cut the shaft, taking off a bit and re weld it. At that point I'll get a good look at the shifter support and see what's up.

Thanks for the input

Ceylon-squarie

Hi Larry-yes the shifter feel solid, but I agree, the support doesn't look like other set ups I've seen. Also the shop that did the conversion left the shifter shaft too long so the gear shift and shift pattern it tilted too forward. They installed, (without my request) a short shift kit, which is fine, but the angle of shift pattern bugs me. I'll take it apart, cut the shaft, taking off a bit and re weld it. At that point I'll get a good look at the shifter support and see what's up.

Thanks for the input

Is it possible your shifter is installed backwards? If it is, your shifter will real close to the dash, be there done that.

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special